General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant Overflow Tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Those bolt heads don't look stripped; a 6-point should get them right out. An impact will get them out or just put the 6-point on a short extension and give the bolt a few sharp hits with a small sledgehammer. And try tightening an eighth of a turn first then loosening.

I wouldn't assume that the other head bolts - even though they came out - are any good considering the torque it took to get them out. They're pretty pricey new but I bet you could get a complete set at a junk yard for $10 or so.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Roader
Those bolt heads don't look stripped; a 6-point should get them right out. An impact will get them out or just put the 6-point on a short extension and give the bolt a few sharp hits with a small sledgehammer. And try tightening an eighth of a turn first then loosening.

I wouldn't assume that the other head bolts - even though they came out - are any good considering the torque it took to get them out. They're pretty pricey new but I bet you could get a complete set at a junk yard for $10 or so.
Thanks again for helping out, don't even ask how much torque it took to break these bolts

Thanks so much for the junkyard idea, I am gonna hit a few on Saturday to see if I find these bolts

I am going to try your advice, though previously I have tried an impact, 12/6 pt 14mm sockets with a big cheater pipe but no luck

Only left with these '2' damn bolts, just need to crack them so I can pull the head off.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Alright, I am able to crack '1' bolt by using an Irwin Bolt extractor.

But the last one on the top right is proving a real PITA for me

I tried hammering it hard last night but for some reason when I put my breaker bar and cheater pipe on it, bolt extractor just slips off, not sure why???

Bolt is almost rounded, not sure if I have damaged the head/block by hammering the Irwin bolts extractor hard on it.

Can I hammer bolt extractor on the bolt really hard or I will damage something?

Anything else you suggest? I REALLY need to remove that damn last bolt to pull the head.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Do whatever it takes...the bolt's got to come out. My local U Pull & Pay shows $30 for a used head + $10 core + $7.50 for an "extended return".

Old 06-09-2013, 06:37 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Roader
Do whatever it takes...the bolt's got to come out. My local U Pull & Pay shows $30 for a used head + $10 core + $7.50 for an "extended return".
I know, have to pull the head in order to fix the issue, so I am going to pull that damn bolt out

That's really cheap, I am going to take the head to a machine shop if they say its not resurfaceable then I am going to go to a pick n pull place and pull another one.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Guys, a quick update.

Thanks so much for all the help, cooperation and guidance.

Gladly, I am able to crack the bolt head and pulled the head tonight

I can't say 'Thank you' enough for all the help, patience and cooperation.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Here is the first update.

I was able to finish all the HG and related things associated with the car. Today I fired her up for the first time after doing the HG. Temp gauge goes beyond half mark, say nearly 70% and then both fan kicks in and temp drops right below the half mark.

I am going to watch the temp in the next coming days and will post a final update either issue has been resolved or it's still there?

Thanks again for all the help and cooperation.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Just me and "NOTHING" to back this up besides what "I THINK" I've seen from my Honda's after they over heated.

Once they have over heated the temp gauge always "seemed" to read higher. So my stupid idea is that the sender once it over heats changes the resistance reading. So "think" about replacing the sender.....also be sure to set the heat to "max" and turn the blower motor off and re-do the bleeding......want to be sure you get the air out of the heater core.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks so much for your input and advice about the gauge. I am going to bleed the system again and if it still remains the same, I would lean and agree with whatever you have said about the 'resistance'.

Couple of updates:

1- Fans do not run after shutting off the car, while previously they always used to run for a bit.

2- Today in the morning, I opened the radiator cap and reservoir, gladly both were at the same mark where I left yesterday morning. While previously reservoir was always full and radiator always low on coolant.

So far after driving it for '1' day, old symptoms seems to go away BUT I am still keeping my fingers crossed(Knocking on the Wood)

Old 07-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Alright guys final update, so I did the compression test yesterday after the car was fully warmed up and here are the numbers:

#1=200, #2=190, #3=195 and #4=195

Fan doesn't run after shutting the car off, radiator is staying full every morning after driving for nearly 7 days. Gauge is staying below or nearly at half mark.

I am really grateful and thankful to all the members of the forum for helping out a 'noob'.

Thanks so much once again for all the help, cooperation and patience guys, really appreciate it.