General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

coolant temp always on cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Default coolant temp always on cold

my temp gauge is always on cold. it first starts way below n slowly moves up to the c and never any higher. the radiator fan never kicks in and its always on Cold even if ran for an hour. I replaced the thermostat and still does the same thing...
cars a 2005 accord ex v6 6spd.
thanks for the help!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:13 PM

the car has good heat just the fan never kicks in that is what really worries me so please help =]

Old 11-26-2010, 08:22 PM

also a/c fan doesnt work even with a/c on but a/c gets colddd

Old 11-27-2010, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

What testing has been done? Get a book/manual for exact testing procedures.

The fans not running. Start with the coolant level, then there are fuses, relays, switches and the the motor that needs to be checked. Is there power at the motor, if so then replace, if not you'll have to work your way back thru the system to find out what is not working.

The temp gauge, could be related but the fact the fans don't come on when the ac is on tell me this is a different issue. Almost the same story- sensor for the gauge, loose wire, the gauge.

Too many "possible" things, so its hard to say "all you need is X".

Old 11-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by collin4170
also a/c fan doesnt work even with a/c on but a/c gets colddd
How does the car get cold AC if blower fan is not running? How is car getting heat if blower is not running? For help you need to provide precise description of your problem.

Are one or both engine cooling fans not running?

good luck

Old 11-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Texas-I guess your right, I read this as an issue with the rad fans under the hood. It could be the blower motor inside the car-blows air out the vents- the OP is talking about??

Old 11-27-2010, 10:41 AM

the fan motor works and all fuses are good. what should i check next?

Old 11-27-2010, 12:51 PM

I assume by "fan" you mean blower in the cabin?

If yes, then is only one fan under the hood running or both fans not running when AC is on?

Temperature gauge issue is either a bad sensor or bad gauge in the insturment panel, unlikely related to radiator/condensor fan issue,..if there is an issue.

Please reply carefully to the questions and we can help. Partial answers waste your time and ours.

good luck

Old 11-27-2010, 02:28 PM

the radiator fan works when i hook it up to a power/ ground. and yes even with a/c on neither radiator fans will kick in. what would cause that?

Old 11-27-2010, 03:41 PM

I see four possibilities in order of liklihood. This is based on 2003-2007 shop manual for 4-cylinder. Your V6 could be different.

1) Both radiator and AC condensor fan relays are faulty. Seems unlikely but other options seem even less likely.

2) Wiring fault from underhood fuse box in Grn wire to radiator fan switch and/or ECM. (Wire branches to radiator fan switch and ECM).

3) Fuse 30 (7.5A) in the underdash fuse box is open. This seems less likely because AC is working and this drives AC system also.

4) Faulty ECM not grounding the fans.

Suggest pulling the connector to the Radiator Fan Switch and shorting the two wires at the connector. Both fans should immediately come on. If not, the relays are suspect or wiring fault from underhood fuse box to Radiator fan switch, or ground missing on Blk wire from radiator fan switch to ground.

You need a wiring diagram for your vehicle to be sure. Check autozone manuals for a wiring diagram.

good luck

Quick Reply: coolant temp always on cold