General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cracked Cam Cap H22A HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 06:23 AM
Exclamation Cracked Cam Cap H22A HELP

Hi everyone, to make this story short, im from New Zealand and I own an Accord Euro R CL1. I was changing the distributor o ring as it was leaking. I just got this car and im not mechanically inclined at all so I am bound to **** up one way or another.

Upon changing the distributor o ring and tightening the distributor back on, I didn't realise that the distributor is meant to sit flush in the cam cap. So I just tightened the distributor nuts and the distributor holder cracked! this happened a few weeks ago and I used jb weld and clamped the piece together and let it sit for 24 hours. Lined up the distributor on correctly and the cars been running fine no issues.

But have I damaged something in the long run? im currently a student so changing the entire head would be far too costly for me. Any suggestions on my situation?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 05-18-2020, 12:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by gs98
Hi everyone, to make this story short, im from New Zealand and I own an Accord Euro R CL1. I was changing the distributor o ring as it was leaking. I just got this car and im not mechanically inclined at all so I am bound to **** up one way or another.

Upon changing the distributor o ring and tightening the distributor back on, I didn't realise that the distributor is meant to sit flush in the cam cap. So I just tightened the distributor nuts and the distributor holder cracked! this happened a few weeks ago and I used jb weld and clamped the piece together and let it sit for 24 hours. Lined up the distributor on correctly and the cars been running fine no issues.

But have I damaged something in the long run? im currently a student so changing the entire head would be far too costly for me. Any suggestions on my situation?

Thanks for all your help!
That part looks like a bolt on part. You might try a salvage yard, or a pick n pull place for a replacement (used will be cheaper than new). As a last resort, maybe try a local Honda engine rebuilder place, as they might have it sitting in their scrap pile. You never know without asking.
I hope this helps.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Those bearing caps are all bored together with the head itself, so they aren't available separately. Boneyards are probably a different story...

If you can find one, you'll probably have to go to a machine shop anyway to have it machined to fit.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:16 PM

Anyone have any other suggestions without replacing the part?

Old 05-18-2020, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

As long as that bolt that is exposed is holding down the cam bearing and you don't have an oil leak, then you should be fine.

If that cap comes loose, then you'll have to find a replacement part. You might find a shop that can weld the part back together? Is that cap aluminum, steel, or cast iron?

Old 05-19-2020, 03:12 AM

hey there yup no oil leaks or anything. I just JB welded the two pieces together. I have no idea what material but its rather soft

Old 05-19-2020, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

That is aluminum.