General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Crank Position sensor/top dead sensor sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 05:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Red face Car fixed

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
You were very thorough with your diagnostics, but one thing I see missing is a fuel pump volume test. The static pressure may be within specs, but if the pump is weak or the filter is plugged you will have similar symptoms. If you don't have a volume kit, monitor the fuel fuel pressure under load when the problem occurs. You will have to secure the gauge to the windshield for this. This may not cause your codes but may help the driveability problem. Also, you noted that the crankshaft was at top dead center and the rotor is pointing at number 1. Just wanted to make sure that you used the correct marks on the camshaft pulley, because if you use the rotor it may be one tooth off. And the balance shaft has a procedure to line up the timing marks using a pin in the side of the block, if this is not followed the engine will vibrate also.
Another test would be to put a test light on the black and yellow wire at the distributor or the ignition coil and make sure it stays lit when the problem occurs. If you lose power suspect the ignition switch causing your problem.

I hooked up a Oscope to the output of the crank position sensor at the computer. The sensor was only putting out about 10%. The new sensor was bad.
:Pondrun

Old 11-08-2021, 09:40 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by pondrun
I hooked up a Oscope to the output of the crank position sensor at the computer. The sensor was only putting out about 10%. The new sensor was bad.
:Pondrun
Just wanted to say, thank you very much for posting the resolution! I am about to try to repair a 2005 V6 (different gens, I know, but electromechanicals are always electromechnicals) with a snapped timing belt "at low RPM" per the previous owner (fingers crossed for the valves/rods) and melted the crank position sensor when it slapped and bunched up on it.I am reading up on anything that may help and and I while your journey sounded painful I greatly appreciate the time you took to both perform and write up the process!