General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Crank Pulley Rubs on subframe arm

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Default Crank Pulley Rubs on subframe arm

H22 in a 93 accord

What I thought was a tire rubbing sound turns out to actually be the crank pulley grinding on the driver side subframe arm when the suspension allows. It turned in to a full blown recording scratching nightmarish sound last night. Any thoughts on modifying the existing arm or possible compatible swaps? Car is lowered alot. Will raising the car up help at all?

Old 02-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

The strut height shouldn't change the engine position in the engine bay.

Is this something new that started happening, or always been there?

What part of the crank pulley is hitting the sub-frame? The center or outer edge?

You may want to inspect your motor mounts to see if any have completely torn rubber. You may want to tighten the crank bolt in case it is loose.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:02 PM

My oil pan got hulk smashed buy an unsuspecting sewer cover

the other day. Now it is bites more often when the car bounces.

It does it on right handturns now when m going 20mph or more.

When the suspension would rebound it would "tap the arm". Now

it will lean on it to the point that you hear the pulley grinding on

the arm. Disturbing. I have all day monday to inspect and

adjust. Waiting for china header to take care of that issue

I know what a dented pan can do to oil pressure as the sump

pickup is close to the bottom of the pan. The engine can get

starved and destroyed. However it still runs like a champ.

I can barely hit high rpm in this city so im still driving it (insane

if you saw the dent headers are ****ed too. Anywho.

Will raising the suspension reduce the cut spring type rebound im
experiencing?

Last edited by H22Swagon; 02-14-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Which header got damaged? Exhaust or intake?

The first place I'd look is still the motor mounts for damage.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:18 AM

I will def inspect my motor mounts. Will a torque strut help vibration in the mean time? I currently am not running a balance shaft belt but the shafts are still inside so there is added vibration over stock because the weights are in still in there.. The crank bites 20 times a day on these ****ty boston streets :/ it willl grind continuously if I am moving from pavement.
The needle constant sound only happens of im on a hill or driving on an incline. The crank is millimeters away from the subframe arm. PA Honda thabks for the help . Not many people have the confidence the offer advice worth takin in Boston. Too cold this time of year. thanks a million.

Tomorrow is the first day i will dedicate to this awesome car. It scares the hell. Out of me.

Last edited by H22Swagon; 02-14-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:13 PM

The Smoking Gun. Notice the cracked portion of the crank pulley. When asked buddy say "yeah thats normal". Okay so yeah most cars have enough pressure. . . While the car is running. Pressed against them . . To crack that pulley.

Going to do the
header
oil pan
crank pulley
balance shaft belt

On friday
But the mounts are going to get lots of attention tomorrow
Look out for more pictures tomorrow

* It does not drive in that position Picture of car on hill. It does not touch on a good road. It grinds on right hand turns and on the hill. Its such an errie sound. I might youtube it but no because THe thought of what that could be doing to the engine just bugs the hell outta me. It sounds like a tire bite or strut sound when it bounces so i did not consider this possibilty. Was so shocked. I think they out the arms on the wrong sides? Is this possible? The passenger side one looks like half moon.

Attached Thumbnails Crank Pulley Rubs on subframe arm-20160214_161410.jpg  

Last edited by H22Swagon; 02-14-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

The crank pulley will need to be replaced. What control arm is sitting below it? Is that an OEM piece or aftermarket piece? You dont want to replace the pulley then have it damaged if you didn't fix the clearance issue first.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:00 PM

That arm is oem. I have a coupe to pull parts fromand i will look at those members. However i believe the mountd could be the issue. I will have the car on the lift tmrw to fix the clearance issue so saturday i can do an all day as well.

The barn pictures goes from control arm/knuckle to front radiator support

Old 02-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

That's the suspension radius arm. Any chance that arm is installed wrong, upside-down, something like that? Maybe installed into the wrong mounting points at it's forwards end?

I think that arm is supposed to have a couple kinks which take it away from interfering with the engine.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
That's the suspension radius arm. Any chance that arm is installed wrong, upside-down, something like that? Maybe installed into the wrong mounting points at it's forwards end?

I think that arm is supposed to have a couple kinks which take it away from interfering with the engine.
That kinked halfmoon radius arm is on the passenger side. Is it possible they were installed opposite. I will look at my coupe maybe today and see what it looks like down there.
I gonna the car on lift end of the day and get a jack stand under there and adjust the mounts.

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley Rubs on subframe arm