General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cranks, but won't start...RPM Gauge goes crazy in key position II, just bought...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Cool, did I ever say I hate chasing electrical issues ......I can read them, understand them, I just hate them.

Did you call around to the part stores and see it any of them can "test" the ICM for you?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 PM

I did call around and Napa has an ICM test machine with a sizable inventory of ICM test plugs, however, OF COURSE they didn't have a '3 and 1' for this ICM, so they couldn't test it. Still waiting for the voltmeter to get in and I got impatient, so I bought an OEM (Hitachi) complete Distributor from automotix.net for $112. Should be here about the same time as the voltmeter, so if that doesn't fix the problem it's back to the drawing board.
In the meantime, I found this awesome link posted by Deserthonda (I think it's just a Haynes, but a life saver, none the less)... Honda Accord 5th Generation Help
Check out the electrical section. Poorman it basically verifies everything you said in regards to the ICM and tach connection.
I've learned way more about this crap than I wanted to, but in the meantime I'm going to clean out the EGR ports and rail and possibly new injectors with new o-rings....that stuff I don't mind.

I'll let y'all know!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Gentlemen,

Just wanted to post a follow-up. I ordered a used OEM (Hitachi) Distributor from automotix.net (who I cannot recommend AT ALL, despite even the part fixing the problem) and she now starts right up, every time. I just want to say thanks to everybody for all the help and sorry I can't say which specific component of the Ignition system it was, it was in the distributor. The distributor was $130, which is about the same price for the cheapest OEM ICM I could find.

**Next is a tranny drain and fill with Redline D4!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 PM

Glad the problem is fixed! Im concerned about the price of the ICM though, I bought mine for $50 and it was an easy install.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jax94accord
Gentlemen,

Just wanted to post a follow-up. I ordered a used OEM (Hitachi) Distributor from automotix.net (who I cannot recommend AT ALL, despite even the part fixing the problem) and she now starts right up, every time. I just want to say thanks to everybody for all the help and sorry I can't say which specific component of the Ignition system it was, it was in the distributor. The distributor was $130, which is about the same price for the cheapest OEM ICM I could find.

**Next is a tranny drain and fill with Redline D4!
Thank you for coming back with "an answer"......the trans drain and fill should go much better.....personally, I would only use Honda Trans fluid in these but that is me

Glad the Honda is back on the road.