General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

is crankshaft hitting valves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I only replaced the timing belt since I was already there. The car was running fine, just making a horrible noise down by the crankshaft pulley.. it was definitely bad. The timing belt seemed to be in good condition actually, I just thought I'd replace it anyway

Old 10-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If I had broken a valve would that not have happened before I took it apart? As I said the car was running before I looked to see what that noise was coming from around the crankshaft pulley area. I would be happy to rent a borescope but I don't know where to rent from.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Did you remove the bolt/drill bit that holds the rear balance shaft in place?

Old 10-29-2015, 08:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I may not be communicating too well. I am writing this all on my smart phone as my PC also went out, and sometimes it's hard to write on such a small surface, so let me clarify:
The bolt that temporarily holds the tensioner away from belt has been removed.
I have removed the bolt that I placed inside the access hole to secure the rear balance shaft.
The belt was fine when I replaced it. It had not broken on me while driving.

Would a local auto parts store rent a borescope or would that be a specialty tool place?

Old 11-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

My suggestion of a broken valve was only for the case if the belt broke while the engine was running.

Noise down by the crankshaft pulley.... What about the oil pump? Maybe something going on down there might prevent it from turning?? I'm not real sure what might happen, but the oil pump is down in that location.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah I really don't know. I guess I will have to tear down some of the engine to figure out..it's really driving me crazy but it is what it is. I have decided to buy some cheap transportation and leave car in garage until I can get to it, so thanks for the suggestions I am open to any other ideas in the meantime while I try to figure this out. I will keep in touch with any progress
Thanks again

Old 11-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The one other thing I didn't mention is that I did turn engine clockwise several times when I first started this project to make sure I was at TDC. Is it possible I did some damage? I researched online and didn't find anything about that. I only mention this because it was the last time the engine turned before I opened it up. I can't imagine that something broke just before I turned off engine to start this project.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have turned mine CW w/o problems and dont think that's your problem.

Check crankshaft pulley for integrity of rubber layer betweeen outer pulley and inner hub. A loose outer pulley would create noise and possibliy damage lower timing belt cover.

There are positions before #1 TDC where all pistons are well below top of block, perhaps 20-30 BTDC.

good luck

Old 11-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Post #4 tiotico mentions the timing mark on the flywheel. That won't be affected by a slipping front pulley.

Turning the engine backwards only gives some small risk of the timing belt skipping teeth. If you have since turned it forwards and the timing marks are still good, then it has apparently not skipped any teeth.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Trying to think about something simple. If the vehicle is a manual transmission, is the car in neutral?

Quick Reply: is crankshaft hitting valves?