General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 01:26 PM
Default Cruise Control?

So my cruise control hasn’t worked since I got my car last December, but I use to have the bottom light and dash light appear and Meant to get it fixed.

Now that I’m getting around to fixing the small things, neither are working anymore. the cruise never set but I’m at a loss. The wiring is still intact and the fuse isn’t blown.

anyone have experience fixing it or have similar problems before?

i currently own an 01’ Ex with the 5spd. -cg5-

Old 11-28-2019, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Does the light on the main cruise control switch located under the driver's dash vent turn on when you try to turn on the CC?

Old 11-28-2019, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Does the light on the main cruise control switch located under the driver's dash vent turn on when you try to turn on the CC?
it use to when I first got the car, but that’s kinda why I wanted to see what you guys thought~

thanks in advance lol

Old 11-29-2019, 02:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by KurlyQ
it use to when I first got the car, but that’s kinda why I wanted to see what you guys thought~

thanks in advance lol
Bulb might be burnt out. Check your fuses. Any engine codes? Is the D-4 light flashing?

The only reason I'm asking, is that the CC won't work if you have a transmission issue.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 11-30-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

I'd start with the easiest stuff to test. Unplug the electrical connector for the cruise control switch under the driver's vent. Turn the key to the II position and use a volt meter to verify 12V to the yel/blk wire and use a bare metal bolt nearby as your volt meter ground.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I wouldn't worry about the CC lights on the dash. I worried about them on my Jeep, and for the past 3 years I have lived without CC thinking that it was inoperative. Then a couple of weeks back I decided to engage it as if it worked, as I was missing it on a long trip. I felt the car surge a bit and had a mixture of shock and thrill. I took my Jeep back to that 72mph mark, engaged the CC, and away she went under her own power.
One problem was that the CC indicator lights on the dash on this '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee stopped working at the exact time that I replaced the Power Control Module. Despite guys telling me that it can't be the problem, I continued to think it was. The real problem was the the dash lights went out and I thought my CC did as well.
I believe that all CC's work with information pulled from the brake pedal switch. It might be worth checking the setting on that switch. And while I'm not sure that Honda cruise controls work on engine vacuum, if it does, there might be a vacuum lines somewhere that has disintegrated or come off a fitting. I am no Honda expert though, so this may be a waste of time. Surely others will have more educated answers. Good luck.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by MrRoundel
I wouldn't worry about the CC lights on the dash. I worried about them on my Jeep, and for the past 3 years I have lived without CC thinking that it was inoperative. Then a couple of weeks back I decided to engage it as if it worked, as I was missing it on a long trip. I felt the car surge a bit and had a mixture of shock and thrill. I took my Jeep back to that 72mph mark, engaged the CC, and away she went under her own power.
One problem was that the CC indicator lights on the dash on this '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee stopped working at the exact time that I replaced the Power Control Module. Despite guys telling me that it can't be the problem, I continued to think it was. The real problem was the the dash lights went out and I thought my CC did as well.
I believe that all CC's work with information pulled from the brake pedal switch. It might be worth checking the setting on that switch. And while I'm not sure that Honda cruise controls work on engine vacuum, if it does, there might be a vacuum lines somewhere that has disintegrated or come off a fitting. I am no Honda expert though, so this may be a waste of time. Surely others will have more educated answers. Good luck.
Those are actually good points. On my 99 Accord, the switch light (dash switch) was burned out, but the cruise still worked. Definitely check the hoses for cracks too.