General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 02:13 AM
Default Cruise control

A while back my break switch bushing broke replaced it with autozone generic part then recently stuck a penny to it to make my cruise control work.

original problem: fixed the brake switch bushing no dash light would appear for cruise control activating

first fix(penny): the light now comes on on my dash when I hit set but when I hit to accelerate it turns off. Also it’s not holding the speed

I tried holding set and accell at the same time for about a quarter mile the light did not come back on and no speed was held.

mind you it did work excellently prior to my brake switch failure.

Old 11-10-2021, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

What year accord? Can you post a picture of how you fixed this with a penny?

Old 11-19-2021, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What year accord? Can you post a picture of how you fixed this with a penny?
So on the bushing that breaks for the break switch the little rubber stopper I glued a penny to it because unless you have the Honda manufactured bushing it doesn’t depress the button all the way

Old 11-20-2021, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

I sort of understand why you have the penny. I thought the sensor had an adjustment to correct the gap so the switch isn't depressed all the time. Are your brake lights on all the time?

For testing, I'd probably start at the brake switch you installed. Unplug the electrical connector to the brake switch. Using a volt meter on the matching pins of the brake switch:

wht/yel to grn/wht should be closed circuit when the brake pedal is pushed. Open circuit with the pedal released*

lt grn to gry should be closed circuit with brake pedal released. Open circuit with brake pedal pushed*

* I'm assuming the second part has to be true but not stated explicitly on the testing.