General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cv axel question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Just a guess...right turn and a "thump" on your the left floor board....check the sway bar to frame bushings. Checking the end links can't hurt.

Think about it. as you turn right the sway bar is going to want to "flex up" on the left to try to hold the car level.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well the thumping is gone, all that's left is the popping and I can feel that under my left foot. It's pops every second as I turn right until I straighten out. The thumping did the same thing on the right until I straighten. But the thumping is gone. Last night one of the valve stems went to **** and let out all the air on the rear right tire as I was driving. The car got all funky as in the backend felt really loose.

I wasn't even aware that I had a flat and kept driving for about two miles. As I did, the backend slid out as I went around round abouts and if you went left, the backend dug in. You would think I would have heard the popping as the car tried to stabilize itself with the sway bar.

But I'll take your advice and check just in case.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

UPDATE!

Replacing the left cv axel did the trick. It was hard to tell until I removed the axel from the hub then it stood out like a sore thumb, play all around, too easy to move. Bought a brand NEW axel to match the new one on the right which also fix my steering wheel pulling to the left on acceleration from a dead stop which was a new issue that popped up after I replaced the right axel.

I also replaced tie rod boots due to 1 1/2" holes in the boots and cracks on the end. I greased my ball joints so they should be alright, I need new boots though.

Sway bar bushings will need to be replaced in the next 25k-50k miles, right now they are alright with some cracking, not crumbling yet.

Tomorrow find faulty wheel hub in the rear, brake shoes, brake flush and bleed, transmission flush, I got 9 qts of DW1 for that, I think that's about it until I leave for new york.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Coming along

Thanks for coming back with the update.