General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cylinder head damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Default Cylinder head damage

Hey all. I have a F22a engine from a Honda accord that needs a new head gasket.
I decided to get the F22B Dohc cylinder head and change my sohc to a dohc with one fowl swoop.
However, during the shipment of this said dohc cylinder head, damage occurred.
I have pics. The worst damage is circled where the combustion chamber is. There is a rather deep gouge and
I am concerned that this will be a problem even after I have the head milled down.

See pics. The first one is a regular pic, the 2nd is in macro which means is super zoomed in.

I though of JB weld but then heard that won't work, then I thought of welding but that would cost too much cause you have to be really skilled to weld on a head surface. I just don't know what to do. I'm hoping that perhaps this won't be a problem since its not a huge chunk that is missing, just a quite small piece. But its where the pressure in the combustion chamber is, that is why its such a concern. Perhaps it will blow out a head gasket.

Please let me know what you guys think, is it okay to use this or not? What should I do if its not okay?

Attached Thumbnails Cylinder head damage-1469915_609493785776002_107773760_n.jpg   Cylinder head damage-1453533_609493855775995_864467718_n.jpg  
Old 11-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Supper Moderator

find someone or shop who can TIG weld. Weld it up and have it resurfaced you should be fine

Last edited by g22cd5; 11-11-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

I would guess that the chunk missing from between the cylinders will cause you problems.

The only way to fix this is to see if a machine shop would be able to fix it. I highly doubt it they can fix it, but it is worth a shot.

I thought the head gasket for the F22A engine doesn't matche the head from the F22 DOHC. See how your new head gasket lines up to the DOHC cylinder head.

Plus the timing belt would need to be different to accommodate both cam sprockets.

I would stick with repairing the cylinder head you have (or a rebuilt one). See if you can return the damaged one you received.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Supper Moderator

the f22b head will be a direct swap as the f22b is the same as all the rest off the f22a/b blocks.
Timing belt is a must but I'm 99% sure the headgasket is the same. That really isn't all that bad of damage if you can find a TIG welder to simply weld over the spots and have them smoothed out.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I can find someone who can TIG weld just don't know where any good ones are at who won't try to screw me over. I'll look.

Another thing, should I weld this exhaust port as well it got gouged as well. I think it would be a good idea to weld this as well, don't you thing?

Macro'd:

What do you think is a reasonable price for all that, I don't wanna spent more than 50 or 60. I can burr it out I have a carbide burr. All I need done is the weld... But thanks a bunch I was getting concerned this wouldn't work out. Payed 190 for the head and manifold, 90 for shipping and 100 for the rest. It came with the intake manifold, injectors and the idle air control valve. Those are all on eBay right now. I got OBD II injectors with the green tips and plug type clips, they fit in the 97-2001 Prelude, and the intake manifold has 1 bid already.

I called the JDM company and complained about the shipping damages and that there were also 2 bent valves. We agreed on a partial refund of $40 which I asked for (shoulda asked for more).

Attached Thumbnails Cylinder head damage-541488_609503332441714_778549397_n.jpg   Cylinder head damage-1463640_609503779108336_2139137314_n.jpg  

Last edited by mishakol129; 11-11-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
the f22b head will be a direct swap as the f22b is the same as all the rest off the f22a/b blocks.
Timing belt is a must but I'm 99% sure the headgasket is the same. That really isn't all that bad of damage if you can find a TIG welder to simply weld over the spots and have them smoothed out.
Yes it is a direct swap, the F22b dohc head gasket is identical to the F22a sohc.
They said you could use a 88' dodge caravan belt, and you need the h23 crank gear.
Few people know about the F22b Dohc as it is a JDM engine, came only in the 92-97 Prelude SI. Some don't even know that they came out with a obd II version(97').

Anyways, thanks for the advice I will try to find a welder.

Last edited by mishakol129; 11-11-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Supper Moderator

ehh the exhaust side really isn't gonna matter. I would just take a dremel and smooth it down but from your pics it doesn't really look like it's gonna hurt anything. As for the welding me personally as a welder I would charge roughly $40-ish as TIG welding is a PAIN aluminum is such a soft metal and you have to be very carful when welding on it. A shop will prob charge you half hr to a full hr in labor so it really depends on the shop. I would find someone who dose work on the side first before going to a shop.
You can also look over at cb7tuner.com for the head swap and they can tell you 100% what all you need for the swap. Good luck to ya!

Old 11-11-2013, 11:43 PM

ehh the exhaust side really isn't gonna matter. I would just take a dremel and smooth it down but from your pics it doesn't really look like it's gonna hurt anything. As for the welding me personally as a welder I would charge roughly $40-ish as TIG welding is a PAIN aluminum is such a soft metal and you have to be very carful when welding on it. A shop will prob charge you half hr to a full hr in labor so it really depends on the shop. I would find someone who dose work on the side first before going to a shop.
You can also look over at cb7tuner.com for the head swap and they can tell you 100% what all you need for the swap. Good luck to ya!
Yes I have see cb7tuners guide on this swap. I pretty much have all the parts except for the cam caps and the rocker arms. The head didn't come with them, the JDM guy said the mechanic used them for something else. People have been telling me that you can't use cam caps from another head. I personally do not understand how this can be so and have even heard the opposite. My own idea is that the cam caps should be interchangeable base on the fact that the camshafts are the same and that the caps are meant to be in spec to the camshafts. They like to say that they're all "different" because they "line bore" the head after the caps are cut. Why would they be different if they're all made for the same camshaft? I was talking about it on the Honda Tech forum and asked Ghost Accord for proof of the assertion that cam caps are different for each head and all he gave me was some camshaft to cam cap specification sheet from Honda which had absolutely nothing to do with the subject.

So you tell me why the cam caps shouldn't work right in the different head cause I'm going to use parts from an H23 head, as I heard those are the same.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by mishakol129; 11-12-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Supper Moderator

A for that question...I truly don't know. Ghost is a good guy and knows his stuff. I know him from few other forums. If I'm not mistaken the f22b and the h23 heads are the same with the exception of the size of the valves ad the bore of the head and the 2 extra coolant ports. But don't hold me to that I would research it first.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 AM

A for that question...I truly don't know. Ghost is a good guy and knows his stuff. I know him from few other forums. If I'm not mistaken the f22b and the h23 heads are the same with the exception of the size of the valves ad the bore of the head and the 2 extra coolant ports. But don't hold me to that I would research it first.
Yeah Ghost is knowledgeble he just doesn't really like me very much, I have a tendency to get on his nerves with my many questions hehehe.

Quick Reply: Cylinder head damage