General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dash/Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Dash/Tail Lights

the red/green goes from fuse box to combo switch connector .. from there it turns to red/black.. it will be very obvious if someone spliced them together.........ehy i just tought of something is there an after market alarm ?? or was there one ???any other king of wiring coming into combo switch that look like do not belong there ??

Old 09-27-2006, 03:42 AM

I'll print out the diagram tomorrow, also a friend is giving me a Haynes book.. and I'll be sure to look carefully at all the wires going into the plug. I can see where that could cause a problem though, maybe some kind of parking light flash/etc, and the previous owner uninstalled the alarm in a hurry or something just cutting wires at random lol.

I'm not sure if there was an alarm.. but definitely going to check for extra wires. I'm heading to bed.. I have a killer headache and greasy hands.. this car gets the best of me everyday so far lol. I'll post an update tomorrow, Thanks again man

Old 09-27-2006, 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: WhyNotFab

I took the plug off, and if I put that #32 fuse in.. the tail lights stay on whether the combo switch is on/off/plugged in/unplugged.. somehow there is constant power to the red/black. any idea?
Even with the combo switch unplugged there is power to the 20-ping connector... Unless I am missunderstanding something does that mean that there is a constant power lead spliced into the red/black wire somewhere before the plug that goes into the combo switch? Or am I way off base...? The reason I say that is the wiring diagram shows that the red/black wire SHOULD be dead if the combo switch isn't connected, however the tailights stay on with the combo switch unplugged (if the #32 fuse is in) So we're having an issue between the plug and the fuse box correct? Does it appear that the red/black wire is getting power from somewhere else since the combo switch isn't even connected right now?

Old 09-27-2006, 03:11 PM

You're correct, seems the red/black wire is connected to the Red/Green since that's the only time it's on (with the fuse in, red/green hot)

Old 09-28-2006, 05:09 PM

I was thinking about this yesterday and I realized you could pull off a temporary fix for cheap if you like.... Yes this is oldschool farmboy technology but at least it makes it driveable until you can fix it right, just go to the hardware store, get a $0.98 switch (the one that has a round top, flip switch with a nut that screws down so it stays in place) clip the wire, attach each side of the wire to a different side of the switch, drill a small hole under the dash so it's not noticeable and put the switch in, then at night you can just flip them on from there.... just don't leave it on and drain the battery.... Not the best in the world but it should tide you over...

Old 09-28-2006, 05:23 PM

I havent needed to drive at night much yet anyway, just goto the gym with my girlfriend and if needed ive just got out and put the fuse in LOL

If I cant find the splice Ill probably buy some wire of the same gauge and just run a new one, and cap off each end good.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:10 PM

Right on.... like a drunk guy that I once gave a ride to said "Roll Ghetto..."