General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dead car no one can figure out why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Default Dead car no one can figure out why?

Car- 2008 Honda accord lxp automatic transmission 43k miles warranty expired in Jan 2013

I had a breakdown in this car about a week ago I was driving about 20 MPH and all the sudden it sounded like something broke lose in my engine like a rock was bouncing around in there, then came a very loud buzzing sound. I parked the car and got out because it sounded like I had a branch or something stuck on my wheel. Nothing and then I hoped back in drove it very slowly and the buzzing was super loud and it was jerking then it just died. It would not start back up again.

The motor cranks, but will not turn over.

I had it towed to a automotive/transmission shop and they could not get power to the car I then towed it to another autoshop he had it for two days and ran every diagnostic he could and still could not get power to the car told me I would most likely need a new computer.

I then had it towed to Honda where it is currently at. They first said that it needed a new PCM because they could get no communication with the car. I ordered a new PCM and that costs $750 with everything.

They put in the new PCM and still the car will not work and they are not sure why? He said “every once in a while we get a car in here that kicks are *** and your car is it” Not exactly having a whole lot of confidence in this car?

Any guess on what this might be? Maybe something everyone has overlooked this far?

I have had it towed to 3 different shops and everyone is pretty much stumped. So I really cant afford to continue replacing things or guessing what should I do? Or what in the HELL is wrong with this car lol?

Thanks

Old 06-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

What exactly do you mean when you say you do not get power to the car?

Old 06-29-2013, 10:26 PM

Well I should of said communication to the car. Honda said after they put the new PCM in, they car will still not turn over or communicate. It has power like the windows and radio and stuff, will crank, but will not turn over or communicate with anything.

Hope that made sense.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

I would call Honda of America, because a Honda dealership should be able to figure out the problem.

The engine noise you described sounds like a mechanical problem, but you are having electrical problems too.

Another question, turning over can have a few meanings. When you turn the key to start the car, does the starter spin the engine? Or will the engine not fire up (run on its own, this is when you release the key)?

Have you tried your spare key in the ignition?

Do you have a volt meter and know how to check for voltage and ground?

Old 06-29-2013, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

I also agree that it sounds like there are both mechanical and electrical problems. If it is not the ECM/PCM, then the communication problem usually is somewhere in the Multiplex Integrated Control System and a Honda dealership should be able to figure out the problem.

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-30-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

The Honda power train warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Is Jan. 2013 the expiration for your 5th year?

http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/W...s/AWL38606.pdf

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-29-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The Honda power train warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Is Jan. 2013 the expiration for your 5th year?

http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/W...s/AWL38606.pdf
Yeah the 5 years expired in Jan.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I would call Honda of America, because a Honda dealership should be able to figure out the problem.

The engine noise you described sounds like a mechanical problem, but you are having electrical problems too.

Another question, turning over can have a few meanings. When you turn the key to start the car, does the starter spin the engine? Or will the engine not fire up (run on its own, this is when you release the key)?

Have you tried your spare key in the ignition?

Do you have a volt meter and know how to check for voltage and ground?
I will call Honda of America tomorrow and explain whats going on. Anything I should say in particular?

Well when I try and start the car all I hear is the starter and the car will not run on its own.

Actually they have my spare key right now so yes that has been the key that has been tried the whole time, and I have my daily key with me. My spare key tho is like my daily key with the remote for keyless entry. Not like the gray key that is just a key by itself we never got one of those.

No volt meter

Thank you for the responses!

Old 06-30-2013, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
I also agree that it sounds like there are both mechanical and electrical problems. If it is not the ECM/PCM, then the communication problem usually is somewhere in the Multiplex Integrated Control System and a Honda dealership should be able to figure out the problem.
I am hoping they can figure it out

Old 06-30-2013, 12:25 PM

Also not sure if this will help, but about a month ago I did hear a kind of whining noise and I did take it to honda and they did a transmission service and said it may be a lose transmission baring. after I did the transmission service the noise was still slightly there and has been since then. The tech said it would be fine to drive but the only way to fix the noise would be to get a new transmission. Is it possible that the transmission baring (if that was even the noise) came lose? and if it did come lose could it make that sound and I guess destroy everything in the transmission along with blowing a electrical fuse or glitch out a computer in the process?

Quick Reply: Dead car no one can figure out why?