General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dead car no one can figure out why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Here is what I would tell them: You are driving a relatively new vehicle that is 5 months past the power train warranty in time, and not close to the 60K miles. You already spent, X dollars to have the vehicle repaired, but the dealership is stumped on how to fix this car. I don't want to throw more money at a car that my Honda Dealer isn't sure how to diagnose or fix. Is there anything the Honda of America can do to help me out?

I would suggest being calm and nice, and see what they can do. It is definitely worth a shot.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Here is what I would tell them: You are driving a relatively new vehicle that is 5 months past the power train warranty in time, and not close to the 60K miles. You already spent, X dollars to have the vehicle repaired, but the dealership is stumped on how to fix this car. I don't want to throw more money at a car that my Honda Dealer isn't sure how to diagnose or fix. Is there anything the Honda of America can do to help me out?

I would suggest being calm and nice, and see what they can do. It is definitely worth a shot.
Absolutely I will be trying this thanks for that! Will honda give me any trouble or resistance if it has been in an accident? If it has been in an accedent are all bets off as far was warranty with honda?

Regardless I will be calling them and say what you mentioned to say. Thank you for that advise and all your responses

Old 06-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

What happened when this car was wrecked? Do you have any pictures of the damage?

Old 06-30-2013, 06:01 PM

Trying to diagnose an automotive related problem from a computer screen XXX miles away with one persons description of auto noises and events, is like trying to ride a horse backwards while wearing a blind fold attempting to shoot a .22 bullet with flying at you with another .22 bullet you just fired. Very rarely, in the realm of complicated issues, are you likely to find a suitable answer. That being said, you have a slew of problems bunched together from the sounds of it, and if a dealership (with all their super trained over priced labor) can't find the problem, you have quite a debacle on your hands. Now, given the sounds, the clunks whirrs buzzing whining popping dragging type, it would almost sound as if you ran something over which caused a mechanical failure, which in turn could have severed an electrical connection somewhere which is why the ECM isn't talking to the engine. The rest of the stuff you mention, the windows and radio and whatnot, they have their own modules (BCM, GEM, etc) Perhaps something has lost it's ability to transmit communication back and forth from the brain to the powertrain. Just a shot in the dark here by me, but I've seen stranger things happen in my 17 years turning wrenches.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What happened when this car was wrecked? Do you have any pictures of the damage?
I have no idea because it was in a wreck before we bought it. We have never had any kind of wreck with it. We have owned it like 2 years and have never had one single problem with it until this whining noise and this breakdown.

We actually went to trade it in and they came back with a supoer low offer and they said the reason why was because they ran and autocheck (like carfax) and it showed it had frame damage. Carfax did not show this when we nbought the car or now. The shop before the honda dealership also could tell it was in kinda bad accident just by looking at it. I know it was in the front left end where the impact happened.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by stang99x
Trying to diagnose an automotive related problem from a computer screen XXX miles away with one persons description of auto noises and events, is like trying to ride a horse backwards while wearing a blind fold attempting to shoot a .22 bullet with flying at you with another .22 bullet you just fired. Very rarely, in the realm of complicated issues, are you likely to find a suitable answer. That being said, you have a slew of problems bunched together from the sounds of it, and if a dealership (with all their super trained over priced labor) can't find the problem, you have quite a debacle on your hands. Now, given the sounds, the clunks whirrs buzzing whining popping dragging type, it would almost sound as if you ran something over which caused a mechanical failure, which in turn could have severed an electrical connection somewhere which is why the ECM isn't talking to the engine. The rest of the stuff you mention, the windows and radio and whatnot, they have their own modules (BCM, GEM, etc) Perhaps something has lost it's ability to transmit communication back and forth from the brain to the powertrain. Just a shot in the dark here by me, but I've seen stranger things happen in my 17 years turning wrenches.
yeah I know that asking what’s wrong is a stretch, but I have gotten some great info and you guys know a hell of a lot more than me.

Yes that is definitely what it sounded like. I know it might take some digging and more physical stuff to find out the actual problem/s And I appreciate your knowledge and response thanks

Old 06-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

The ECM/PCM is located near the front left end, next to the battery. Did you ever get a chance to look around there?

In addition, take a look at the transmission mounts and the frame to see how those look like.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:08 PM

redbull-1
No it is still in the shop I have not had a chance to see it.

So I spoke with Honda and they said the finally knew what my problem is. My transmission died and I guess it blew out a sensor in the process. The PCM was fine so I don’t have to pay for the new one, but I do have to pay labor. They have had it for 4 days. They got the car to turn over and said the tranny is making an awful noise and needs to be replaced. Not sure exactly what sensor blew, but he mentioned something about the sensor to the tranny and that is why it was no communicating and that the senor was not even picking up the transmission in the car. I will have to talk to them more to get the exact senor name

At least I know what was wrong now, but coming up with the money for that expensive repair is another story haha. Honda did say that they will pay half because of my miles and it only being 6 month out of warranty which leaves me responsible for like $1900. And that new tranny has a 3 year warranty on it. O well at least I know what is wrong
But everyone was right with what was going on. Thank you so much for your responses and help. I REALLY do appreciate it. I will post back when I find put the exact name of the sensor. It is in the shop now supposed to be fixed tomorrow so hoping it will be all good from here on out.

I am kinda surprised tho that it took them this long to find out what sensor was not letting the car communicate.