General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Did I create problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest a download manual ($22) from automanualsource.com for torque specs and other help.

good luck

Old 03-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Cam cap ft. lb.

Instead of offering the , Buy a $22 online manual,,try doing a little work and search the topic. Took all of 4 minutes to find the answer..

Camshaft bearing cap bolts:
6.0 x 1.0mm - 108 in-lbs
8.0 x 1.25mm - 16

Took this information from this page,,remember,,search is your friend.

6th Gen FAQ (Read Before Posting)

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Default End result's to " Did I create problem"

Thank's to all that chimed in with help and opinions, Being on disability it took awhile to get all back together. Ran into a couple of head scratching issues,Why does honda use the same connectors on TPS and MAP sensors, took a couple of minutes to figure that one out, when I got it running it would'nt accelerate,and had the honda idle surge. Found the connector issue, accelerated fine then but still had the surge. Removed IAC, it was full of goo due to oil in coolant and stuck open also, freed it up and so far all is well. Thank's again for the input from all that helped, This is a great and well put together website, I'm sure I'll be back, as this is the first Honda I've owned.As a side note,Support the NRA and keep our second amendment rites the way they should be!!! Shooter 58

Old 03-21-2015, 11:17 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Glad you got it back together and running, I ran into the connector issue before also...at least it is not a f--- you are driving.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:48 AM

Good morning to all, a couple hundred miles now and still ok, However my son took on a date last nite, called me and said MIL light came on, when I purchased car it had a upstream o2 heater bad, so I replaced it when going back together,cleared codes. Now I have po420 cat eff. code. Is it possible the downstream o2 is just lazy, or the cat needs replaced. I sure hope I didnt buy someone else's problem child, My wallet's already crying Thank's for any input, Shooter 58

Old 03-22-2015, 10:27 AM

There are other reasons for P0420 besides bad catalytic converter. An exhaust leak can sometimes cause this problem, and it can be intermittent. Reset the ECU and see if the problem returns.

Diagnosing requires monitoring the secondary O2 sensor to see if voltage pattern is similar to primary O2 sensor (fairly rapid voltage swings from 0.1 to 0.9V).

First confirm no exhaust leaks. If voltage pattern oscillates from low-high w/ frequency of 1-2 cycles per second at idle, a bad catalytic converter is likely. Some OBD2 scanners can provide graphic output of this info.

The ECM can detect a slow secondary O2 sensor response (P0139) and short/open (P0137, P0138), and O2 heater circuit problems. If you don't have one of those codes, secondary O2 sensor is likely OK.

good luck

Old 03-22-2015, 01:31 PM

Thank's TexasHonda for the switching info, primary o2 "new one" stay's in parameter between .01 and .09 volts cycling about every second, while secondary is going as low as .075 and up to .975 cycling about the same time frame, however when it go'es to the low or high point it stay's there for two to three seconds then resumes what I assume is normal pattern. Thank's for any additional info. Shooter 58

Old 03-22-2015, 02:08 PM

A good converter secondary O2 signal has very slow changes in voltage.

good luck

Old 03-22-2015, 04:29 PM

Thank;s TexasHonda, The u-pull-it yard here in sarasota has two or three of this gen. accord, one with only 85K miles, I'll head down there tomorrow and hopefully grab the cat. and o2 if there still on it. Thank's again, You seem to know your way around Honda's, I'm certain your a very good Tech. Thank's again. Shooter 58

Old 03-25-2015, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

If the "bone yard" is following the rules....the cat will be gone....thanks to the government laws. If it is still there, don't ask a whole lot of questions and walk out with it quickly

Since you are in FL, a replacement cat is not that bad ($'s) IF that is the issue. Test before replacing is where I'm going.

Quick Reply: Did I create problem?