General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Did I screw up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
Uhhh, it seems you're mixing your fluids, ATF stands for "Automatic Transmission Fluid", and Dextron is in fact one flavor of ATF; neither should EVER be used as an antifreeze.

If you adhere to short oil change intervals then you'd be wasting your money to use synthetic oil, however, if you run the factory interval or longer, then I'd recommend synthetic oil.

Regarding brake fluid, I believe your car calls for DOT-3, pretty much any brand will perform the same as any other brand.
Yep, I meant to type Dexcool. I think that's what it is called. No matter, I bought some Honda anti-freeze today. I also bought Dot 4 brake fluid. They said the only difference is the boiling point. I will most likely use synthetic oil and fix the leaks. I'll let Honda flush the power steering.

How about spark plugs?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

• Dexcool = bad for Hondas.
  • Dot 4 brake fluid does in fact have a higher boiling point, however, it also absorbs water faster and requires replacement more often (BMW recommends every two years).
  • I know some folks say synthetic oil causes leaks, personally I've converted many cars with over 100,000 miles on the clock to synthetic oil and never seen it cause leaks.
  • Spark plugs are something that last so long these days that they should be really low on the priority list (unless the engine is running rough).

Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So I found brake fluid capacity on this forum for a 94. Anyone know what it is for a 2004?

I bought plenty (2 32 oz. cans) but I can return the excess if I don't need it.

I'm flushing the brakes not just top off.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by azcromntic
So I found brake fluid capacity on this forum for a 94. Anyone know what it is for a 2004?

I bought plenty (2 32 oz. cans) but I can return the excess if I don't need it.

I'm flushing the brakes not just top off.
capacity is when the fluid reads on the full mark on the reservoir. i don't recall ever seeing capacities for brake systems for any manufacturer.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah, it's not in the user's manual but Honda parts said a 2004 Honda Accord brake system holds 2 pints: no less, no more. That's 32 oz total. So I bought double what I needed.

Last edited by azcromntic; 04-30-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Default Synthetic Mobil 1 ATF

For what its worth, I have been using synthetic Auto trans fluid for 20 yrs starting with a new 1993 Accord. When it went to a new home (along with ex-wife) it had 175k on the trans with NO issues. Mobil 1 was my first choice and I just drained and refilled 2.75 Qts every 15k. Overkill maybe but NO trans issues.

Been using Mobil 1's new multi-vehicle formula in my other 93 Accord SE for the past 80k after the original owner had to put in a Honda reman trans at 97k....using Honda ATF fluid every 30k. Likely a plugged internal filter (common issue on early Accord autos) but no issues since I have put an external Magnefine filter and use the synthetic oil. I do my own fluid changes and feel the added cost of the synthetic engine / trans oil is worth the difference.
93 Accord SE Coupe auto trans

Old 05-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Keep in mind that the internal wet clutch packs in newer transmissions are engineered to operate with a very specific coefficient of friction; change the ATF to something which has different properties of lubricity (regardless of how "good" the ATF is) and sooner or later the transmission will fail.

Long story short, even though I'm very much a fan of Mobil 1 products, there is no way I would ever use Mobil 1's multi-vehicle formula in a late model transmission; this is a recipe for disaster.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shipo
Keep in mind that the internal wet clutch packs in newer transmissions are engineered to operate with a very specific coefficient of friction; change the ATF to something which has different properties of lubricity (regardless of how "good" the ATF is) and sooner or later the transmission will fail.

Long story short, even though I'm very much a fan of Mobil 1 products, there is no way I would ever use Mobil 1's multi-vehicle formula in a late model transmission; this is a recipe for disaster.
X2

IMHO- Any Accord from 94 and up....only use Honda Trans Fluid.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Until I know better from worse I think I'll stick with the Honda fluid. It's pretty darn expensive though.

I found a digital FSM and was looking for the transmission filter. I see that there is one but it is DEEP in the transmission. That or it's like the size of a bottle cap. Anyway...I also noticed it is not in the scheduled maintainance to change. How about an external filter like mallonpaulj mentioned? More work than it's worth?

Old 05-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Okay, let me try that a different way. Anyone ever change the tranmission filter in a 2004 Accord?

Quick Reply: Did I screw up?