General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dorman Universal wiper linkage bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:51 AM

indeed mine also was just a regular nuts .. well I didnt bother to find another nut .
But if you find one, let us known, I may change it too !!!!

Thanks for the update !

Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Good to know the linkage will work. IDK if these will fit, but the vendor should have included a couple of plastic caps with the linkage, like these on ebay/UK:

10 pack of M10 Nylon Plastic Hex Nut Cover Cap BLACK - £3.95

Attached Thumbnails Dorman Universal wiper linkage bushing?-ml8plxlnzcd2r-d_x4kdbfg.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I haven't actually installed the linkage yet ... I just said it looks sturdy!

I'm waiting until I can find a resolution from the seller on this nut issue. Thanks for the heads up on the black caps. I've also found Carr Lane CLM-10-AN, an acorn nut that looks like the stock ones except that it is a lot fatter (17mm socket instead of 14mm).

Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Roader
Good to know the linkage will work. IDK if these will fit, but the vendor should have included a couple of plastic caps with the linkage, like these on ebay/UK:

10 pack of M10 Nylon Plastic Hex Nut Cover Cap BLACK - £3.95
Fyi, I just ordered these. Since they only come in a 10-pak and I only need 2 of them, if anyone else wants a pair let me know.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Okay, I installed the aftermarket linkage today ... not happy.

First of all, the threads on the wiper arm posts are M10x1.5 instead of the stock M10x1.25 ... and the aftermarket linkage comes only with large (17mm wrench) bulky shiny hex nuts and no black covers. Looks pretty bad considering that is the only part of the entire linkage that is exposed to view.

In addition, the spacing between the wiper arm posts does not match stock ... it is 1/8 to 1/4" more than stock. Actually the entire linkage is longer, so whoever manufactured these did not measure the structural link bar very well. Not only was it difficult to get the mounting bolts back in (I had to really stretch the mounts to do this), but the passenger side wiper arm shaft is is now offset from the windshield flashing hole so that the plastic flange washer that covers the hole is rubbing on the side of the windshield flashing, and the end of the passenger side wiper touches the side mouding on the windshield.

Otherwise it works ... but I'm not happy with the above problems and am going to ask for a replacement or refund.

In the meantime, I took some good photos of the stock linkage bushings:

This first photo shows the whole linkage, with the broken bushing. Other than the bushings, the rest of the linkage seems to be in good shape. Not too bad for a 16 year old part ...

Here's a close-up of the broken bushing. It comes in two pieces ... maind body and a lock ring.
By the way, "Link A" is definitely the link that goes to the motor ...

Here's the other end of Link A to show you what the bushing looks like when it's mounted properly onto the link ...

Even though only one bushing had broken, each of the three remaining bushings have a crack in them ... so I imagine they're not far behind.

Since I'm not thrilled with the aftermarket linkage, it looks like replacing the two link arms would be enough to breath new life into the stock linkage. even better yet, 4 of these bushings would be trivial to replace ... if you can find them. And, the bushings pop off and on their pivot points pretty easily so you should be able to replace these links without removing the wiper assembly from the car

As for the bushings, I've looked around online and as yet have not found them ...

*** Update ***

Just contacted Dorman ... they have bushings for many auto makes, but say they don't carry these.

Thanks. John

Attached Thumbnails Dorman Universal wiper linkage bushing?-wl1.jpg   Dorman Universal wiper linkage bushing?-wl2.jpg   Dorman Universal wiper linkage bushing?-wl3.jpg   Dorman Universal wiper linkage bushing?-wl4.jpg  

Last edited by jkowtko; 03-19-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Almost A Senior Member

** Final Update **

Today I pulled the aftermarket linkage out of the car, scaveneged the link arms and rubber mount bushings (not the metal grommets, just the rubber part) and used them to clean up the original Honda linkage, which I put back on the car.

The linkage is brand named "Perfect Fit" and is manufactured by a Canadian company called UTOYOTA. They are very sturdy linkages and appear to be almost identical to stock, with two notable exceptions:

1) The shaft threads are M10x1.5, not M10x1.25 like the Honda stock linkage. Not a big deal except for the fact that you cannot get a 14mm wrench size decorative cap nut anywhere that fits a M10x1.5 thread. Evidently Honda had their cap nuts special made. The 17mm hex nut that fit on the M10x1.5 thread is big an unsightly.

2) The linkage wasn't built to spec ... it's 1/8-1/4" too long, resulting in a wider shaft spacing. You might not think that's a problem, except for two things:
- the passenger side shaft was pushed so far to the right that the wiper touched the right side of the windshield moulding and the shaft flange cap was a tight fit in the cavity area of the windshield flashing.
- it was really, really hard to get the mounting bolts on because they did not line up with the holes in the bracket. I had to seriously stretch the rubber mounts in order to get the bolts in.

So I though it better to stick with a stock linkage than something with the above variances.

One problem though -- the seller would not pay for shipping on a return order even though I considered it defective, and the cheapest shipping I could find to Canada was $38 ... so not worth returning it.

So I scavenged the useful parts from it to refurbish the stock linkage, and tossed the carcass in the trash.

So be forwarned ... if you buy anything from Canada make sure you understand the warranty/return policy before you buy. And I would suggest not purchasing UTOYOTA parts unless you are willing to keep what you get. For wiper linkages specifically, before you buy, ask the vendor what the shaft thread size it. It should be M10x1.25, not M10x1.5, and not just "M10".

-- John

PS: I have a package of black nylon hex nut caps that fit nicely on a 17mm hex nut ... so if any of you out there already have one of these linkages and want to hide the hex nuts, let me know and I can send you a couple.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:10 PM
Smile Honda accord - windshield wiper linkage bushing

2003 HONDA ACCORD - WINDSHIELD WIPER LINKAGE BUSHING #49464
I had left my wipers on before a snow storm and when I turned my car on the next day in the snow ( I cleared off most of the ice/snow) the wiper malfunctioned and it just wouldn't work. So I took the entire wiper assembly out(thank you YouTube). Discovered the one bushing broke and the other was cracked. It took me hours to find just the bushings online. Grabbed the wrong ones for $6 at advanced auto but then did some more research and found the right ones. Thanks to your post I was able to get some answers. I don't like to get my hands dirty but it was simple enough.

Got the bushings and warmed them up with a torch so they would fit in the arm. Took a little bit but they fit in and once I got them on the arm I warmed them up again before pressing the bushing into the ball joint. It worked! My wipers are back to normal.
BE WARNED: Make sure put your wipers up after you install them to test for the proper position. You don't want to turn the wiper blades on and have them hit your car anywhere. Don't want to mess that up or you could bend your wiper like it did but it was an easy fix with some needle nose pliers. Bent those suckers right back. Mint condition.

2003 HONDA ACCORD - WINDSHIELD WIPER LINKAGE BUSHING (AUTOZONE)
DORMAN PART NUMBER: 49464
COST: $14.99 (INCLUDES TWO SETS)
Assuming this part is good for only 7th generation accords (2003 - 2007)

Honda Accord windshield wiper cap
Honda Accord windshield wiper plastic cap
Honda Accord windshield wiper plastic bushing

Old 05-10-2024, 08:06 PM
Default Yes, Dorman Wiper Linkage Bushing 49455 fits 2007 Honda

Originally Posted by jkowtko
Has anyone tried to replace the bushings on existing wiper linkage? Dorman makes a "universal" bushing:

Dorman Universal Wiper Linkage Bushing - JCWhitney

It would make for a fairly inexpensive repair if these fit ...

Thanks. John

I had to replace the windshield wiper linkage bushing on my 2007 Honda Accord EX and this Dorman 49455 fit perfectly. A (4) pack of replacement parts was less than $10. I only needed to replace (1) on my car.