General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Drain and Fill question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 PM

Uhh... while that might be 'OK' I disagree.

After having to rebuild a 6 gen transmission I would much rather change my fluid every 10k to be safe than let it go longer to save a couple bucks. $45 for a change is much cheaper than 2500 for a rebuild.

Please take a look at my trans cooler thread this is the best upgrade you can do to your 6 gen ever. Keeping your trans cool will prolong your fluid life and reduce the wear on your parts.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ictures-48791/

Honda recommends a drain and fill every 15k, don't wait till 20k just to save a couple bucks. If you are driving your car hard (up mountains, lots of shifting and load) you should do changes every 10k.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:20 AM

@silver6gen you mentioned a hard down shift when decelerating. I can prob count on one hand how many times it has done that in the three years I have owned the car. It only happens in certain circumstances, say if I should "floor" the pedal and left off real quick it may or may not do it. It would be something like that when it would do that. I have a question specifically for you Silver6gen, how much did your rebuild cost? Or did you do it yourself? I found this place online through google called Willow Creek Transmission based out of South Carolina, and they said they have taken failed transmissions, and replaced the torque converter as well as some other parts with "heavy duty" parts. Was thinking about ordering one to have as a back up incase my transmission should ever fail.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by GreysonRX
@silver6gen you mentioned a hard down shift when decelerating. I can prob count on one hand how many times it has done that in the three years I have owned the car. It only happens in certain circumstances, say if I should "floor" the pedal and left off real quick it may or may not do it. It would be something like that when it would do that. I have a question specifically for you Silver6gen, how much did your rebuild cost? Or did you do it yourself? I found this place online through google called Willow Creek Transmission based out of South Carolina, and they said they have taken failed transmissions, and replaced the torque converter as well as some other parts with "heavy duty" parts. Was thinking about ordering one to have as a back up incase my transmission should ever fail.
The hard down shift is only when you are coming to a complete or near complete stop. Not when you floor it.

Rebuild cost me something like 2,100 I've heard people getting it done for less. My friend did the rebuild I just helped him with it and tried to learn while going along.

I wouldn't just get a transmission just to have one, sounds like a waste. The torque converter isn't really the problem its mainly the bearing guides and clutch plates. Plenty of local transmission shops can do rebuilds just fine with high percentages of success and you won't have to spend a small fortune to ship it.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 AM
Almost A Senior Member

First let me say (in my opinion) your changing out your fluid WAY too often however as the vehicle gets up there with the miles you have I suppose that's a good thing. I brough mine to the dealer for a fluid change at around 45,000 miles, it was the first one. The service advisor told me do not "flush" the fluid just simply do a change. He said actually the Accord is not equipped for a flush and that's on purpose. Guess there supposed to be some other drain hole or something to hook the machine up to and he said the car doesn't have one. That's what my dealer told me anyway. Considering Honda recommends like 90,00 miles or something like that I figure I still did mine plenty early.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

This is a debate. I will say this, I sleep better changing the trans fluid (one drain and fill) in my auto's every 15k. Again just me

Same debate can be had about when to change to oil.....3k, 5k or when the book/OCI says to.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Honda recommends a drain and fill every 15k, don't wait till 20k just to save a couple bucks. If you are driving your car hard (up mountains, lots of shifting and load) you should do changes every 10k.

Huh?? Where are you getting this info from? I haven't seen an owners manual or Honda Dealers literature that says to change it anywhere near that. I can't quote it right this minute but I'm positive my manual ('09) says to change it way longer than that. I do everything against the "extreme" scenario in my manual and it's still longer than 10K.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 PM

Im pretty positive my Manual states every 15k, and the repair manual says the same under "general service"

I know they increased the interval for later generations to 30k I think.

I would NEVER EVER EVER go past 30k. As I stated as the fluid gets older it breaks down and its ability to shed heat is reduced. I have seen this with my after market temp gauge. I have had to replace one transmission and don't want to do it again just because a fluid drain and fill cost $45.

Furthermore Hondas recommended method to change the transmission fluid is to drain and fill the trans 3 times in a row, driving it around the block after each fill. This is designed to "flush" the transmission in a "natural" way. I dont do a a 3x drain and fill, I just do one drain and fill more frequently.

So there are two ways of doing this

.................................drain & fill x 3.....................................drain & fill x 3

or

.........drain & fill.............drain & fill...............drain & fill.............drain & fill

both are acceptable, and in my opinion I always want to have good fluid in my trans so I do the changes more frequently. As I do not want to spend 2,500 on a rebuild again.

Quite Honestly I don't care what is in the book, the book isn't paying for the rebuild. If I can prolong the life of the trans by changing the fluid every 15k then thats what I will do.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

For the OP's car, the owner's manual recommends for normal driving conditions; automatic transmission fluid by changed every 120,000 miles or 72 month, whichever comes first.

For severe driving conditions, every 30,000 miles or 24 months, whichever comes first.

I personally would not recommend that, as many 6th generation Accords were reported with automatic transmission problems, especially the V6.

I have not seen in any Honda owner's manual or service manual, of Honda recommending 15,000 miles change intervals. That is the personal preferences of some Honda owner's though. Many people change at every 15 - 30k.

Attached Thumbnails Drain and Fill question-6th-gen-accord-normal-maintenance-schedule.jpg   Drain and Fill question-6th-gen-accord-severe-maintenance-schedule.jpg