General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dreaded dual a/c blowing hot & cold, but with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 06:53 PM
Question Dreaded dual a/c blowing hot & cold, but with a twist

I've been researching for months on this and haven't seen anything here or elsewhere on dual a/c with this specific problem. My '07 EX-L has dual a/c and is blowing very warm (not heated) air from driver's side and conditioned air from the passenger side. I've changed the cabin air filter, replaced the driver side mode control actuator, checked the amount of 134a in the system (1.2 lbs), checked for leaks (held vacuum for 15 min), checked the pressures (low at 35 and high at 125 at 85F and about 60% humidity), checked for DTCs (none), run the a/c system test with my shop's scan tool (no codes), checked that all doors and actuators are functional (they are as far as I can see) and prayed to the Accord deity that any of the above would solve the problem. No joy. Now the twist: with a full load of freon, and abundant condensate pooling under the car, the far right and right-center vents blow at 52F. The left-center vent blows at 62F and the far left vent blows at 82F, all while sitting still. When I drove her home, the two rightmost vents still blew at around 55F. However, the leftmost vents blew at close to outside temp air, only while I was in motion. Stop at a traffic light and the left-center vent gets cooler, but not nearly as cold as the right. The far left vent stays about 85F., Start moving and the vents blow much warmer. Has anyone had any experience with an Accord's a/c blowing hot while in motion and cooler while stopped? I am a fairly decent shade tree mechanic and have done all this myself in hopes of preventing the feared a/c repair bill. However, I'm close to the the raggedy edge and could use some insight. Thanks for your time. (And, yes, I did buy a crate of parentheses from Sam's and am trying to use them up).

Old 07-26-2019, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

The dual climate control really means that you have a blend door each for the passenger and driver's side of the system. The Accord only has one evaporator and condenser.

To check the driver's side mix, try the heat and see if you can moderate the temperature of the heat coming out of the vents.

What were the pressures on your system after you recharged? Did your shop do the system charge?

Old 07-27-2019, 09:15 AM

Yes, I can control the temperature of the air using the dash dials, and the air blowing from the left two vents is much hotter on Hi than the air blowing while on Lo. The pressures after charging were 35/125 with 1.2 lbs in the system. And my fleet mechanic worked the a/c machine for me while we were "at lunch" yesterday.