General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electical problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 10:29 AM
hiofcer
Unregistered
Default Electical problem

Hey Guys-

I just bought an accord a week ago so I'm new to this forum. I'm in need of some help badly.

I bought a 2001 LX with 81,xxx and a day or two after I bought the car I noticed will driving the car will shut down by itself but come back on right away. The tach goes dead, the Speedo jumps the radio shuts down and the maintenance light comes on then goes off. This happens intermittently. But can happen as many as 30 or 40 times in a 25 mile trip. I had the Honda dealer look at it. The check engine light does not come on so the dealer can't get any trouble codes. They recommended an ignition switch change but that has not solved the problem.

Since I can't continue to blindly through money at this problem I have to ask you knowledgeable folks. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Default RE: Electical problem

Quick check:

If you have not checked the battery post connectors - This can be a problem - either with a loose terminal or contamination btwn the terminal and post EVEN THOUGH THE TERMINAL AND POST LOOK CLEAN.

Grasp each post connector, where the cable is crimped, and slightly try to move it side to side. If one or both move OR NOT - still remove the neg terminal first and clean the post and the inside of the clamp, (sandpaper will work if you do not have a battery post cleaner). While the neg clamp is removed - remove the pos clamp and clean it also.

Reinstall and tighten the pos post first and then the neg post. Check to see the clamps are tight enough so they do not move.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Electical problem

have all the recalls been done to the car?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:16 AM
jackrabbit
Unregistered

A somewhat similar problem happened to me. Sometimes I would get in the car and try to start it and as soon as I turned the ignition and tried to start it all electric would drop out. Then I turn the key back off,take it out, back in, then turn halfway on then the electrics (Fan, Radio, lights, etc) came on. Try to start then nothing...didn't even try to crank......

But it was intermentent.....sometimes going 3 weeks with out a problem.

Turned out the terminals on the wires which clamp on the battery posts weren't getting tight enough grasp on the posts. Bought 2 new ones for 4 dollars and installed....Haven't had a problem yet.

I don't know if you're having the same problem but you might give new battery terminals a try. Its a cheap solution

Old 08-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

jack ,,,,,,,,,,, my friend u are replying to a post that is almost 3 years old,,,,,,,,,,need to look at the post date :-)

Old 08-31-2009, 07:36 AM
jackrabbit
Unregistered

I am well aware of the post date.

The information may be useful to someone searching the forum for information from today to 5 years from now.