General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

electrical mess

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Default electrical mess

I have a 91 accord that was wrecked. after the wreck the dash controls started acting up. turn on left blinker and speedomitor needle starts ticking with the blinker and it blinks fast, whipers come one some times too and S light break lights starts blinking . cooling fans will not start so had to run a hot wire ith toggle swith to keep car from over heating when sitting still, also my ac compraser wonth kick on with out running the same set up. I think it could be a bad module or something but if anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!

Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

When a bunch of unrelated electrical stuff goes wrong, I would start looking at the grounds in the engine bay. Where was the car hit?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:50 AM

the front driver side panel. They ended up taking off the cruse control because they had to replace the power steering well and some some stuff because it was all busted along with headlight.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

in this post you say which side...in your "other" post I was able to guess....hummm.

And you can check the times of my reading.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:00 PM

o ok so what do i need to do to check it

Old 07-30-2011, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

The should be a ground sort of behind the driver's side headlight. You should probably get a shop manual for your car. There is one for a 93 non-US accord that you can download for free. I can't remember where I found it. Getting a shop manual as a pdf from sites like ebay is another option. There are some links in the Common DIY Thread on top of this forum that may have some helpful information.

The other option you have is to start testing the electrical system using a volt meter. I would start with the fans that are not working. The fans have two wires going to them, 12V and ground. Ground is normally black wire. See if you have voltage going to the hot wire when the fan switch turns on.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Yes check the grounds first.

Then also know that there is a wiring harness running thru that fender that "feeds" many of the circuts you are having issues with.......ac, blinker-it is fast like a bulb out or no power going to it and I'll guess the left front blinker is not working, fans, further up the harness would be the wipers.

You might be able to pull the wheel off the remove the inner fender liner (plastic shield) and check for damage.

Got any pic's of the damage?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:36 PM

i can take some but it doesn't look as bad as it was we have fixed some of the damage.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Checked the grounds and that fixed a lot of the problems but the ac compreser and the cooling fans for the radiator still wont come on so I am still stuck on getting it fixed. Anyone have any more suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Unplug the fan that is not working. Use a volt meter and see if the black wire has ~zero resistance to ground. I would use a valve cover bolt for the ground.

Quick Reply: electrical mess