General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical Nightmares

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 06:00 PM
Default Electrical Nightmares

Thank you in advance to any help I can get. I’m at my wits end, and need some help. Bear with me because I’m going to try and explain in detail.

I bought my 2011 Honda Accord a few weeks ago, and it had a burned alternator and the wires to the alternator were crispy. So I did the logical thing and bought an expensive wire harness and new alternator. Finally put the entire engine main harness in, and the car wouldn’t start. I had a flashing green key. I returned to this site, and thanks to the amazing brains here, I found out about an ebrake code. Worked like a charm, and then I took it to a locksmith. He got my keys reflashed or programmed or whatever, and now it cranks and runs. On the way home, the check engine light, the traction control light and the TPMS light came on. Got to the shop, checked and fixed tire pressure. So now I’m down to the CEL and TC light. Code reads p1658, but that doesn’t exist in my readers database. What does that code mean?

Also, the car doesn’t shift while driving worth a crap. Very rough shifts, very hesitant to shift. My assumption is I have to get the transmission to relearn the shift points. Had a civic I had to do that on years ago. How would I go about that?

And maybe the the biggest problem for now, is the car won’t go into reverse from Park. If I go into drive and let it engage, then shift it’ll go into reverse and back up.

Im sorry for the questions, but Google hasn’t let me find these answers. Thank you everyone!

Old 08-22-2019, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

P1658 is a code for the electronic throttle control relay stuck on. This could be a bad relay, or something in the wiring is causing the relay to be on at all times. #6 in the picture below is the relay in question. A quick test is to swap #6 with #2 or #8 if the relays are identical. #2 is the horn relay and #8 is the rear window defroster. Relay #2 for the horn would be easier because if the horn works constantly, and the car drives fine, you pretty much narrowed it down to a faulty relay.

I also recommend purchasing the shop manual for your car. Automanualsource.com has the 08-10 accord manual for ~$22 as a pdf. I think the 2011 accord is the same generation, so the manual should be almost identical for your car.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
P1658 is a code for the electronic throttle control relay stuck on. This could be a bad relay, or something in the wiring is causing the relay to be on at all times. #6 in the picture below is the relay in question. A quick test is to swap #6 with #2 or #8 if the relays are identical. #2 is the horn relay and #8 is the rear window defroster. Relay #2 for the horn would be easier because if the horn works constantly, and the car drives fine, you pretty much narrowed it down to a faulty relay.

I also recommend purchasing the shop manual for your car. Automanualsource.com has the 08-10 accord manual for ~$22 as a pdf. I think the 2011 accord is the same generation, so the manual should be almost identical for your car.

Thats perfect!! Thank you! I will try it tomorrow and report back. Hopefully I’ll be saved from a two hour trailer haul to the Honda dealer.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:39 AM

Ok. Sorry. This weekend was busy. I swapped relays and the number 6 relay just came apart. Pulled number 2, and put it in and nothing changed. CEL is still on. Also, not sure if I posted it originally, but the car won’t go into reverse from park, I have to go to drive first. Park, reverse, neutral all show 1400 RPMs and 26mph. I put it into any forward gear and the whole car jerks hard, and everything looks right. Any ideas? I’ll clear the CEL and see if it comes back. Hopefully the relay swap helps.

Thank you!

James