General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical noise when accelerating/when starting the engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 05:20 PM
Default Electrical noise when accelerating/when starting the engine

Hey Guys!

There is a whining noise when accelerating but not all the time, it comes and goes.I also hear a similar or might be the same noise when I start the engine (I only hear for a second or so).
The noise during acceleration is constant for 10-15 seconds and it goes away, for example when I get to a red light and make a complete stop. I do not hear it after that so it is hard to record it.
I do not hear it more when I turn the steeting wheel so I am guessing it is not the power steering pump rather some kind of pulley or it might be the alternator? The car starts just fine and runs great, fuel consumption is normal.

I know this is not much to go on but that is all I got till I can make a video. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Should I measure the alternator with a volt meter? Would that help?

Thanks in advance! F1.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Noises are difficult to diagnose even with video. Your alternator may make noise at the pulley due to a worn bearing or worn serpentine belt and still put out the correct voltage, so that test may not help.

I'd recommend having an assistant start the engine with the hood open. Use a water spray bottle or even windex and spray the belt when you have the noise. If the noise goes away, then I would remove and inspect the belt and spin the pulleys by hand (obviously without the engine running). You would want to feel for any roughness or wobble in the each pulley. Make sure to check the belt tensioner pulley when testing.