General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine dies with AC on - Compressor turned off

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If system is wired correctly, the AC switch should disable the compressor. Belt should freewheel around compressor clutch plate w/o turning compressor.

It is likely possible to have the clutch plate locked to the compressor by some debris. This would turn compressor over all the time engine is running.

In cases I've heard where compressor locks up, the belt will slip and burn up, jump off the drive pulley, or break.

good luck

Old 06-17-2012, 11:37 AM

We completely pulled ac compressor out and still having the same issue. We then replaced the iac valve and its no better. Engine still stalls when we turn the ac onto high, if we leave the AC on low (one or two clicks past off) it blows but can tell theres a power loss. It appears to be an electrical issue, we dont know were to look next.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:52 PM

Something's causing the load. Try driving on battery alone w/ AC and alternator belts removed. You can drive for some time on battery, if engine is only electrical load.

If load still persists, then it's an internal engine problem, perhaps a siezing water pump.

If load disappears, then alternator seems suspect. Have you checked how difficult it is to turn alternator?

good luck

Old 06-17-2012, 06:09 PM

I ran the engine without the compressor and alternator and the problem persisted, Its acting like theres a massive vacuum leak when i turn the ac on high, my ac controls are the button type, do any of the dampers run on vacuum.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Here are some basic questions/maintenance ideas that could help narrow down the problem. When you first turn the key to the II position and do not try to start the car, does the check engine light turn on for two seconds? Does the D4 light start flashing when driving (or does the bulb work)?

I would still check for engine codes, just to be safe. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum and open the link for checking engine codes. Either the check engine light and/or the D4 light will flash codes.

You might want to disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables. Clean the bolts and the eyelets. Use a wire brush or some sandpaper.

There is also and important ground on the thermostat housing that you may want to unbolt and clean as well.

How are the maintenance items in the car like the distributor cap, distributor rotor, and the spark plugs? What brand of spark plugs are being used?

Old 06-17-2012, 06:33 PM

Suggest checking whether EGR valve is closing. You may need to remove and inspect to determine it is closing and sealing. Apply vacuum and valve should open. Make sure valve fully closes w/o vacuum and seals. Large EGR leak might cause your symptoms.

good luck