General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Revs and power questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Default Engine Revs and power questions

Hello Honda Forums,

Newbie here from Vermont. Just aquired a very nice silver 2008 Accord Coupe LX-S with the 2.4 four banger and 5-speed tranny.

I love the car, it's my second Accord, my first was a Green 89 LXI Coupe.

Interesting thing is, this car and my 89 were both sold from the same dealer in Poway CA. I bought my first one brand new there, and the latest I purchased here in Vermont, it's a 1 owner car and left California eight months ago.

So a couple of questions for you Accord experts:

1. One thing I don't like is how the engine stays at high RPMs between shifts making smooth shifting more difficult (especially for my 15 year old son in training). Is there a fix for this?

2. The drivers seat is sort of loose, it wiggles during driving.

3. I would like to add some power, suggestions would be great.

Thanks and pic in the intro section if ur interested.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 PM

Cmon fellow Honda guys, any help with the above questions would be very helpful. Thanks

Old 08-02-2012, 06:31 AM

Wow, no answers. Real active forum we have here.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 AM

Easy killer some of us members do have "jobs" we do have a life an some of us are just waking up!
Good morning new member glad to have you aboard!
To answer your question well cant do it!not with just 1 answer anyway.
It could be many reasons your idle is high?
throttle plate stuck?
fast idle thermo valve faulty?
idle air control valve needs adjusting?
Or it could even be the starting air valve gone bad?
It could be any of these or something else but these are just a few items to keep you busy for the rest of the day!
good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:20 AM

Oh and i forgot to mention about the loose seat?
If you look under the seat you will notice "4" nuts around the bottom get a socket to them there probably loose?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 AM

I think he is talking about rev fall off when shifting. so when you accel in 2nd gear and take it to say 4500rpm then press the clutch does it take a couple seconds for the engine to spin down? or is it hanging up at 4500 for a bit or is it just spinning down slower than you would expect?

-If it is hanging at 4500 there is more than likely a tps issue, or some sensor.

-If it is spinning down at a rate you think is too slow but nonetheless is doing so immediately once you are on the clutch and off the throttle then it is probably just your flywheel. Heavy Flywheels store the inertia of a rotating engine, lighter flywheels will yeild quicker acceleration but can result in rapid rev fall off when shifting and jerky 1st gear engagements.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

this vehicle has an electronic throttle actuator or drive by wire system. the computer controls throttle angle based on accel. pedal input. i DON'T know if this vehicle is equipped with an engine speed match system (some newer cars that are manuals are), but if so, the computer matches the engine speed to the trans speed when shifting or clutch disengagement.

2nd, there is a service bulletin regarded interference in the knock sensor circuit causing the computer to retard the timing = loss of power. requires ECM update at the dealer.

or it could just be it's a 4 cylinder????

Old 08-02-2012, 12:56 PM

what you're referring to is rev hang. it is computer controlled since honda is going with "drive by wire" where the throttle is computer controlled. you will need to tweak the ecu to get rid of it. you can look on 8thcivic.com for more information because civics are tuned more than accords

Last edited by doctorbee; 08-02-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:57 PM

usual power mods are IHE - intake, header, and exhaust to promote a freer flowing engine

Old 08-03-2012, 05:26 AM

Nice info fellas! now thats what im talking about!
there's are members!when you members give good info like that it reminds me why i stuck around and why im still here!
Keep up the great advice! it works!

Quick Reply: Engine Revs and power questions