General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Revs and power questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Silver6gen
I think he is talking about rev fall off when shifting. so when you accel in 2nd gear and take it to say 4500rpm then press the clutch does it take a couple seconds for the engine to spin down? or is it hanging up at 4500 for a bit or is it just spinning down slower than you would expect?

-If it is hanging at 4500 there is more than likely a tps issue, or some sensor.

-If it is spinning down at a rate you think is too slow but nonetheless is doing so immediately once you are on the clutch and off the throttle then it is probably just your flywheel. Heavy Flywheels store the inertia of a rotating engine, lighter flywheels will yeild quicker acceleration but can result in rapid rev fall off when shifting and jerky 1st gear engagements.

First of all, thanks for the replys.

I am talking about Rev Fall Off. It comes down when you push in the clutch but at a very slow rate. I would love for it to fall off at a more normal rate.

For more power/response, I think I'll start with a cold air intake and see how that feels. The prices of those vary greatly on Ebay, anyone have any favorite brands?

How about throttle body spacers I'm reading about? Anyone using chips?

Thanks again.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:54 PM

Throttle Body Spacers are a gimmic, Chipped ecu's are ok but only after I/H/E.

A lighter flywheel plus intake headers and exhaust will give you a decent boost. A lighter flywheel will also give you quicker acceleration with the same amount of power. Just because the engine doesn't have to spin up a heavier wheel. Light weight wheels will also increase power transfer to the road.