General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Whining Noise While Under "G"

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 06:19 PM
Default Engine Whining Noise While Under "G"

I have searched a lot and can't seem to find someone posting this exact symptom. '09 Accord, standard engine, manual. I have noticed that while in a turn, there is a high pitched whining noise coming from the engine. However, this only happens when I'm in a sustained turn at a higher G-load. It doesn't always happen when turning the steering wheel, but rather when I am in the turn. And then when I come out of the tight turn and I'm accelerating straight, I can still hear the noise whining for about 3-4 seconds and then all returns back to normal. The noise pitch fluctuates with the engine, so it is clearly something attached to the serpentine and not something unrelated. It does sound a lot like a steering pump noise, but I'm not too sure. Steering doesn't feel tight to me, and again, if I am just moving the steering wheel, I get no whine. Could this still be a steering pump struggling? Could the g-forces from turning be revealing an issue with it? Maybe air in the system? Any other parts you suspect, like an oil pump?

I am going to be flushing and replacing the fluid just in case at any rate, since it's probably really old, but I'm just wondering if there is something else I should look at.

-dirty_ketchup, beginner to moderate DIYer

Last edited by dirty_ketchup; 06-26-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Can you cause it to make the noise without turning? For example turning the steering wheel? The biggest help would be to pinpoint the location of the sound. (easy for me to say...)

My first thought is also the power steering pump. Is the fluid low? There's a fine mesh screen down in the fluid reservoir, submerged in the fluid. If the fluid is dirty the pump has a hard time sucking fluid through that screen. When you change that fluid, check the screen & clean the reservoir (soap & water works) then dry it real good before refilling.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Can you cause it to make the noise without turning? For example turning the steering wheel? The biggest help would be to pinpoint the location of the sound. (easy for me to say...)

My first thought is also the power steering pump. Is the fluid low? There's a fine mesh screen down in the fluid reservoir, submerged in the fluid. If the fluid is dirty the pump has a hard time sucking fluid through that screen. When you change that fluid, check the screen & clean the reservoir (soap & water works) then dry it real good before refilling.
I have only reproduced it after being in a tighter turn for a few seconds. Shorter duration turns or gentler turns don’t have enough lateral force to really initiate the whining. Fluid definitely isn’t low. I suppose I could jack up the front and rapidly turn the wheel back and forth to try to get it to happen and listen for the area. But I’m just going to start with the fluid change since it does look dirty anyway, and we’ll see if that confirms it. Good call on cleaning the screen.

My best theory is that the dirty fluid is causing flow issues, and the lateral g forces are causing it to not flow easily through the system. I’ll report back next week once I’ve had a chance to change it.