General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Failed MFR versus ECU versus Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

This is the easiest way to jump voltage to the fuel pump.

Plug in the connector in the trunk.

Unplug the main relay electrical connector. Jump the red/wht pin to the blk/yel pin using a piece of wire. Turn the key to the II position. That should keep the fuel pump turned on the whole time the key is in the II position.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Okay, PA, so if I'm understanding you correctly, once I jump those two and turn that key, then the pump should whirr/sound the ENTIRE time that key is turned, right? So at that point, if I wanted to confirm, I could actually get out of the driver's seat and go back to the trunk and physically listen, right?

Old 08-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Dave Clark
I took OUT the main fuel relay and jumped two wires -- black/yellow and red/white. Then I went back and tested: black to body ground at the fuel pump and red to black/yellow at the fuel pump -- boom, 11 - ish volts reading with the key turned on.
Good. That means that the wring to the fuel pump is good.

Originally Posted by Dave Clark
...So I go back, put the fuel relay back IN (removing the jumper wires, of course). This is a NEW fuel relay. Got my helper out there, told them to turn the key to "II" (on). ...with the same testing procedure as above at the fuel pump -- got NOTHING. Maybe 0.4 volts.
Test the other relay inputs per the FSM. Grounds and power, obviously, but equally important is the two-second signal from the ECU. See FSM for the pinout. The ECU signal energizes the relay, and the relay powers the fuel pump.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

If the red/wht wire has 12V with the key in the II position, the fuel pump should turn on and you can go back and listen for it.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If the red/wht wire has 12V with the key in the II position, the fuel pump should turn on and you can go back and listen for it.
Okay, just an update. I jumped those two wires (as above); got CEL light steady on, blinking D4, and yes, could detect that the fuel pump runs with the key in the "II" position. Quieter than I thought it would be, but perceptible from both in the driver's seat and also when I listened through the fuel intake. So that's where I stand at this point -- apparently a good fuel pump and a good wire harness/connection/wire connection TO the fuel pump. I will try and walk down the code pull; hadn't really strongly pursued that yet. In the meantime, any other suggestions or questions??

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

By the way, what's to stop me from at least TRYING to start it and see if I can run it a bit? I'd like to, if nothing else, move it around a bit to keep the tires from dry rotting, get the fluids to circulate a bit, etc.. Opinions?

Old 08-12-2012, 05:23 PM

i doubt you will be able to. what CEL codes are you getting?

Old 08-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Plug everything back in. Pull the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse for a minute (this will clear all codes). Turn the key to the II position. Wait for the check engine light to turn off, then try to start the car.

After you tried this, then check for codes. It takes 5 minutes to check for codes.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright, PA, I'll do that real quick, then pull the codes. We'll see what we get. Thanks for all your help!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

By the way, PA, when you say plug everything back in, do you mean MFR, everything? Right now I've got that jumper wire in there because that's the only way I know (for sure) that the fuel pump is running.

Quick Reply: Failed MFR versus ECU versus Fuel Pump?