General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fans won't turn on 1992 Honda Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
1. With A/C turned on, do both fans at the radiator run? The fan on the driver’s side is the A/C condenser fan and the fan on the passenger side is the radiator fan.

2. Follow the lower radiator hose to the engine. The lower radiator hose is attached to the thermostat housing on the engine block. There is a fan switch (thermo-switch A) there. Disconnect the electrical connector (usually a green connector) from the switch. With a small paper clip or wire, jump the terminals on the electrical connector and turn the ignition to ON. Does the radiator fan run?

Even if there was a problem with the water pump, if the coolant temp. reach a certain threshold, the cooling fans should still turn on. Resolve the cooling fan issue first.
Check the things I posted previously and report back.

1. Then check the No. 29 fuse (15A) and No. 39 (20A) fuses, located in the under-hood fuse/relay box (see attached pic.). No. 29 protects the condenser fan and radiator fan control module. No. 39 protects the radiator fan motor.

2. As a quick check whether there may be a problem with the radiator fan relay (located in the same under-hood fuse/relay box), you can probably swap the power window relay with the radiator fan relay to see if anything changes. I think both relays are the same type.

Also report back regarding this items to check. It may possibly turn out to be something else such as the radiator fan control module, located inside the cabin under the driver's side dash.
I have the same issue with my 1992 accord, I did some work around the cadiladic convertor and all of sudden both fans stopped working. They only come on if I turn the AC on. All fuses are good. Please advise.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Locate the fan switch A. Follow the lower radiator hose to the engine. The lower radiator hose is attached to the thermostat housing on the engine block. That is where the fan switch A is (ECT switch A). Disconnect the electrical connector (usually a green connector) from the switch. With a small paper clip or wire, jump the terminals on the electrical connector and turn the ignition to ON. Does both fans run?

Report back whether the fans run or not. If they don't run, then we'll try to narrow down where the problem may be, such as with the wiring, etc.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:37 PM

Locate the fan switch A. Follow the lower radiator hose to the engine. The lower radiator hose is attached to the thermostat housing on the engine block. That is where the fan switch A is (ECT switch A). Disconnect the electrical connector (usually a green connector) from the switch. With a small paper clip or wire, jump the terminals on the electrical connector and turn the ignition to ON. Does both fans run?

Report back whether the fans run or not. If they don't run, then we'll try to narrow down where the problem may be, such as with the wiring, etc.

I just replaced both switches just to be on the safe side, but yes the fans ran when i did the paperclip trick. The fans only come on if I turn the AC on.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Perez
I just replaced both switches just to be on the safe side, but yes the fans ran when i did the paperclip trick. The fans only come on if I turn the AC on.
Since both fans operate with either the A/C on or the connector to the Fan Switch A with the jumper wire, that would indicate the fuses, relays, and wiring are okay.

Is the car overheating? If it is overheating and both fans don't run, make sure the coolant level is okay in the radiator and reservoir; try to bleed out any excess are in the cooling system. Your Accord has a bleed bolt to help with purging air from the cooling system. No need to drain coolant, just try to bleed air from the system.

Old 12-21-2023, 05:24 PM

So I’m having the same issues with my fans although after testing the lower radiator hose and hooked the fuse up only my driver side fan came on not both any help there

Old 12-22-2023, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

This thread is pretty long with multiple people posting. Will you start a new thread? Include your vehicle information and describe the trying and results you have so far. This thread has good information for initial testing like turning on the a/c to see which fans turn on.