General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fantastic tool for front brake rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Default RE: Fantastic tool for front brake rotor replacement

Every rotor for the 05 has the bolt/screw holes for breaking the rotor off the hub.
You say the arrangement is like Suburban requiring hub and rotor?
Don't think so.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Just on Accords before 1998.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:20 PM

using this tool separates the bearing and decreases bearing life. i'd stay away from it if i were you.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

using this tool separates the bearing and decreases bearing life. i'd stay away from it if i were you.
How does re-packing a bearing with fresh grease decrease its life?

Old 01-27-2008, 02:18 PM

the bearing isn't meant to be separated ever, it's a sealed unit. it's pressed onto the hub. this tool pulls the hub out of knuckle, since the back part of the bearing is still bolted the knuckle it pulls the bearing apart. the tolerances are slightly changed when you separate it and then you "re-join" it using the axle nut.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:33 PM

The bearing is pressed together by the nut as it was originally pressed together when it was assembled.

One couldwax phiosophical about whether anything that is disassembled and reassembled is "the same" asit was prior to disassembly.

Regardless of whether that bearing is "meant to be" separated, in this case, I, the people that designed the tool,and thosetechnicians that useit on a daily basis,feel that, for allpractical purposes, the re-assembled bearing, with fresh grease added,will functionthe same as, oreven better than, itdid before disassembly.

Our bearing is the original, 15 year old unit.I separated and re-assembled the bearing in May of2007, and it is still working just fine. I'll report back on this thread when it fails. Then we can speculate aboutwhether the failure was premature.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 PM

sorry, i was simply stating what i see. this bearing is not pressed together using the axle nut originally, it comes as a sealed unit, and the hub is pressed into the bearing assembly. a few techs have used this tool at work and have had comebacks on them. perhaps your having good luck, i hope it lasts.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:44 AM

Just to be clear - I did not mean to imply that an axle nut wasused to press the bearing together originally. I meant that it was pressed together by a tool -whether it be hydraulic, screw-type, or whatever. The end result is the same- the bearing is pressed together.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Default Tool?

Is this tool still available somewhere? The site that you linked seems to be gone.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:28 PM

JC whitney has a tool..they do not have a exact picture,but here is the link.

Btw,call and make sure they have one before ordering.I ordered one and a month later,it never showed up,and they told me it was back ordered.I went ahead and cancelled my order.Will try again later.

This is the tool you need to pull the hub and rotor off.

www . jcwhitney.com/2-arm-hub-puller/p2007846.jcwx?filterid=d855y1996j1

Last edited by g22cd5; 09-19-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: active link/ non sponsor

Quick Reply: Fantastic tool for front brake rotor replacement