General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front end issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 08:46 AM
Default Front end issues

Ok so my Son has a 99 Accord Lx 5spd vetch that we have had a problem with the front end for some time now. What is happening is we get a very bad vibration in the passenger side front when braking. We also get a clunking noise when going over a bump.
What we have done so far is the car has newer tires,all new brakes,front sway bar bushings,trans and engine mounts. We have checked the ball joints and tie rods all appear good.There is a small nick in the boot of the cv axle but I have had bad axles before and typically it is felt in the wheel and we have no vibration at all there. Basically all has been ruled out with the exception of the wheel bearing strut issues or possible trans issues? Anyone have any ideas? The parts that have changed so far were all well worn so nothing lost as far as we are concerned. The car has 230k.
Thanks

Old 07-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

May want to look at the endlink for the swaybar. See video below. The 2nd video is for bushings that you already did.

Vibration when braking = warped rotors. You can probably remove the rotors and get them machined.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:10 PM

Brakes&Rotors are brand new end links are solid. I wish it was that easy....

Old 07-10-2016, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

For the vibration when braking, you may want to put a dial indicator on the rotor to see if it is warped. You can also pull the rotor to see if the hub is warped.

For the noise, this video gives a good overview on how to find them.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:29 PM

I Repeat the Brakes and the rotors are new. And so are the tires. This issue was here before I changed the brakes. I am sure that it is not brake related. I have had the car up and have done my usual check with a bar and all is tight. Question how does a hub get warped? Is this not a knuckle with a bearing internal? I thought about replacing it but there does not seem to be any play in the wheel or noise....?

Last edited by schoust; 07-10-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

I understand that the brakes and rotors are new. The only way to tell if the rotor (even new) or hub are not true is to measure it with a dial indicator. I wouldn't replace the bearing or hub until you do a measurement on them.

If you have an IR temperature gun, you can try going to an empty parking lot, get the car to speed and let it safely coast to a stop without using the brakes. Measure the temperature of the rotors to see if you have a brake pad dragging causing excessive heat on the front passenger rotor.

That last video I posted covers several tests to locate a noise. It may not be the end links, but he goes over a bunch of good tests.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:19 AM
Default front end issues

Hello I want to apoligize for.my frustration I dony normally have this sort of issue with simple front end stuff.
I do have an.IR Gun I will attemp to give that a shot. I'm wondering if the issue could be the links that go into the subframe on those long bars. Not sure what they are called but the seem to be a prime candidate for the noise not sure on this one....

Old 07-11-2016, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

They go by a few names.....strut rod or radius rod bushings.

For giggles, check the subframe on the pass side about where the ac drain tube is for rust or wear. "Some" of the 6th gens had an issue where the subframe would rust through in this area....causing strange sounds and feels in the the car.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

The radius rods (or whatever you call them) go way forwards & attach with rubber mounts into the frame under the radiator. They're so far forwards that it's easy to overlook the front end attachment of those bars.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:46 PM

I need to find this issue the kid says it's getting worse so it's time to get back under with a pry bar and find it! It must be loading up when the car is jacked up. I mean I just went through my VW Tdi suspension and you can tell when those cars have worn parts! They literally flop around! Just how does one check those strut (radius) rods?
I have searched the manual and nothing is there. What I wouldn't give to have a lift! I know I would find the issue then!
I will take a peak at the subframe and lower control arm bushings. Maybe It will be one of those??
Thanks

Last edited by schoust; 07-11-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Front end issues