General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

front suspension clunking

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default front suspension clunking

The clunking happens on turns and over bumps. I've isolated it to the front left strutt. My roomate says its the strut mount. I think he's right, but what is the exact part i need? I called o'reilly's and they don't have something labeled exactly as a strut mount. I don't remember what they called it. Any input?

Old 09-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Check to see if they have the Front Bearing Plate..I think that's what it's called...

Old 09-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Our cars do not have strut bearings just bushings.(modified McPherson) struts not the true McPherson which does have a strut mount bearing to allow pivoting of the strut since with most McPherson applications the strut acts as the upper control arm, where we or atleast my 5th gen has a double wishbone setup. (upper and lower control arm w/strut)

More than likely your swaybar endlink bushings are gone, causing metal clanking sound.

Pretty easy to spot under your car. Connected to your lower control arm.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:36 AM

p.s. also check the bushings where the sway bar connects to the frame.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Default Similar clunking sounds

My 2003 LX sedan has begun making similar sounds especially at relatively low speeds over almost any road imperfection. First on the left then on the right. Began gradually, intermittently about a month ago; now all the time.

No effect on steering or cornering yet.

Are the bushings replaceable or must the whole bar be replaced?

What's a ballpark fix $?

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Search GYosZGby0-I on YouTube for a video on replacing the stabilizer bar end-links. It is for a Honda Pilot, but the procedure will be pretty much the same.

He also shows how to shake the tire at 3/9 o'clock or 12/6 o'clock to see if it is something else. Inspect the end links to see if they have a lot of play.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:19 PM

Move the wheel left and right to check for excessive play in the wheel bearing. Grab the wheel from top abd bottom to check for bad ball joints.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Its getting worse. I lifted the front end and checked it all out. Nothing seems worn out or broken. Everything feels solid. Outside of a broken cv boot, i can't see anything that could cause the clunking sound.

It happens now anytime the weight transfers from side to side. I think it may be coming from the suspension link that extends forward. The one that attaches to the front of the subframe. Its called a tension rod on other cars.

I used a jack on each wheel to simulate suspension movement while i had the car lifted. In order to make it clunk, i'd have to load the driver side, unload it, then load the passenger side wheel. It would only clunk again if i loaded the drivers side again. Every single bushing i could see was perfectly fine. Every endlink was perfectly secured.

Whats the deal? Is my suspension going to explode randomly while driving?

Old 09-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Noises are difficult to diagnose over the web.

Here is a new video that came out after your first post dealing with the issue that you have.

Search YouTube for scFbb43fwqk

Quick Reply: front suspension clunking