General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fumes in cabin & lights dimming??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:11 PM
jon.hand
Unregistered
Default RE: Fumes in cabin & lights dimming??

Nice one guys (00AccordLX5spd - sorry I don't know your name), thanks for your help, I'll go down to the Honda garage tomorrow and order a replacement.

With regards to the lights dimming, I've checked the battery terminals, theyseem nice and tight, so I would suggest (from previous guidance)the alternator may need replacing. I've had a good look in the compact engine compartment, can someone confirm the alternator (from the attached pictures)

I think its picture DSC02341, but there appears to be something clamped to it??

Jonny H

Old 10-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

2342 looks like the AC compressor so that's out.

USA doesn't get the diesel engines, so it looks unfamiliar. It might be easier to see from the other (non-pulley) end. The small bit that's visible at the arrow looks like it has the kind of vent holes that are typical of an alternator.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:21 AM
jon.hand
Unregistered

Ijust gotthe replacemet air filter,I was quite shocked at the difference (look at the attached picture)

Jonny H

Old 10-13-2007, 02:55 PM

Are the exhaust fumes still present?

If so...maybe you could try this, but please someone verify if this would work. Run a seafoam treatment through your car...but I think somebody said you have a diesel and not sure if seafoam works with diesel engines. Anyways, if you can run the seafoam treatment, when you start revving up your engine and if white smoke comes out of anywhere BUT the muffler, wouldn't that mean there was a leak? Not 100% sure. Hopefully someone here will verify if this would work for you.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:31 PM
jon.hand
Unregistered

Got the just of what this seafoam does, but I must admit, in the UK, I have never heard of this before (for petrol or desiel's) but it sounds a good idea. i have replaced the filter, and it seems better, but I don't know whether its just me knowing I've changed a filter?

I got a cost of Honda for a replacement alternator, it was £260 (not sure what that is in dollars, but would guess at about $400), I obviously declined, now need to search on the web.

For your guys info, the cabin filter cost me £23 (again would guess this as $40)

jonny H

Old 10-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

I just guessed based on the "iCDTi" thataits a diesel?

Anyway, you're supposed to let the manifold vacuum suck seafoam into the intake manifold. Diesel's don't have much vacuum. Besides, the stuffwould act like a fuel & possibly cause the engine to race to higher rpms. So try to find some instructions that specifically talk aboutdiesel engines. Andbe careful how you add that stuff.

Before I spent the money for a new alternator, I'd do enough measurements to make sure that's really the problem. I'd hate to spend $400 & then find it was a loose wire or a bad voltage regulator.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:19 PM
jon.hand
Unregistered

Thanks for your advice Jim

Jonny H

Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

LOL .... I'd say that the filter needed to be changed ..... have you tried running the car without the battery connected? Anyone know if this test is good for a deisel?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

That test is usually not good for any solid-state electronics in the car.I would expect there's a few control modules installed in the car even with a diesel...

The voltage regulator apparantly needs the battery to be installed, to act sorta like a big capacitor. Without the battery, you get voltage spikes. In a 1968 Chev those voltage spikes don't hurt anything because there isn't anything there to be hurt.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

but the test worked on my car. ..... just to see if the car can run off of the alt.

Quick Reply: Fumes in cabin & lights dimming??