General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gas stopped early

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Default RE: Gas stopped early

ORIGINAL: klrspz

I've been pushing my ride real hard, I might be lucky if i make it to 300mi... also, wow.. 3.56/gal!!! it's 2.89 here in dallas.. where do you live?
I'm at $3.10 for the cheap stuff up in Montana. also, you're right in the middle of oil country. (not that it really makes a difference but it's a fun argument)

Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yeah .... spaz .... why don't you just go siphon off of the oil pumps ..... j/k

Old 11-09-2007, 10:05 AM

I shouldn't talk to much because from what I've been told Montana has a decent amout of oil too, but it all gets exported to other refineries so we don't get the benefits. I haven't seen $2.89/gal for a LONG time.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 AM

For the most part, I think Texas does have the cheapest gas prices in the country.
It was $2.89 here in MS when I filled up the other day. We are usually pretty close to Texas prices.
I remember when I was 16 and had my first gas guzzling 5spd Mustang. i think it got about 14mpg around town. But I didn't care cause gas was so cheap. At one point it was down to $0.77/gallon! Ahhh, the good old days!

Old 11-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Almost A Senior Member

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

It is likely the pump. Even if you have used the same pump before, no pumps are perfect. I have been to several that will stop a bunch of times and I have to hold the lever instead of locking it. I think it has to do with the underground tank getting low on fuel or something.
I tried holding the lever in the past and it seems to stop about ever couple seconds (happened on several occasions at different gas stations). I thought it was my car until locking it and leaving it pumping worked normally. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it to see if this starts happening more frequently. I live in Sacramento and the $3.56 is for plus (reg is $3.45). Prices jumped so much in the past couple weeks. My last fill up 2 weeks ago was only $3.20 for plus.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:56 PM

Yeah just went out for lunch and saw prices are up to 2.99/gal..

Are you at the same pump each time you do this? I've had that happen to me on my '86 4Runner and after switching pumps it stopped doing it... I had noticed the gas came out of the nozzle a bit differently. Much like a bad aerator on a sink nozzle, it kinda looked like a sloppy stream.. Moved to the other pump, and it came out smooth and stopped my problem.. Seems like there is a small bubble of air that gets created from the gas being dumped all weird...

Just my $0.02

Old 11-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Almost A Senior Member

ORIGINAL: klrspz

Yeah just went out for lunch and saw prices are up to 2.99/gal..

Are you at the same pump each time you do this? I've had that happen to me on my '86 4Runner and after switching pumps it stopped doing it... I had noticed the gas came out of the nozzle a bit differently. Much like a bad aerator on a sink nozzle, it kinda looked like a sloppy stream.. Moved to the other pump, and it came out smooth and stopped my problem.. Seems like there is a small bubble of air that gets created from the gas being dumped all weird...

Just my $0.02
Like I said in my previous post "I tried holding the lever in the past and it seems to stop about ever couple seconds (happened on several occasions at different gas stations)". It has happened at different gas stations so it has happened at different pumps. How can you see the gas coming out of the nozzle?

Old 11-11-2007, 06:55 PM

prices are anywhere between $2.79 and $2.91 here in my neck of the woods

Old 11-11-2007, 09:59 PM

$3.17 for unleaded here.

I try to avoid ever going to the same gas station all the time. I vary which ones i use alot. that way, if i find out that my "regular" gas station isnt being honest with their gas amount calibration, i wont be as upset.
there was a string of stations that were caught for that awile ago.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:57 PM

Yeah, and the good old days weren't that long ago too. I think when 2000 hit it was all downhill in some ways. Mainly the oil mongrels/politicians that we have areto blame for this gas crisis.

Quick Reply: Gas stopped early