General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

gauge cluster problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 10:09 AM
Default gauge cluster problems

The gauges quit working but the warninng lamps function. Also gettig RPM fluctuations during idle. Would someone have suggestions? I am new to the forum. Recently replaced the EGR valve and Oxygen sensor to put yellow Check engine light out . That worked !
I put vehicle details in my signature but just in case, 98 Accord coupe, V6, AT

Old 10-21-2021, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Which gauges are not working in the cluster. What are the gauges doing? Not moving, giving strange readings?

Old 10-22-2021, 09:40 AM
Default Gauge cluster problems

Thank you for responding. First the temperature gauge quit moving about a year ago ad I did ot follow up on it. In the past few days all the gauges ,fuel, speedo, and tac quit. They came back briefly during one drive but nothing since. In that time the engine took to reving up and down at idle and continues to do so. All the warning lights in the cluster still come on at startup and go out as normal. Gauges don't move at all. Car has not been driven much in the last year because my wife works from home now. Battery is less tha a year old.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

The idle is probably a different issue than the gauge cluster.

For the idle: When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and make sure the coolant is filled to the top of the radiator. The thermostat housing has a bleeder that you open when filling the radiator to allow air to escape. Tighten the valve when you see a steady stream of coolant coming out. Air in the cooling system can mess up the idle.

For the cluster: Check the fuses to be thorough. If you have a test light you can test them pretty quickly. There are some good videos on youtube on how to do this.
Also check grounds since the car sat for a while. G501 grounds the gauges in the cluster. It is located in the center of the dash below the radio. I'm not sure how easy it is to access. You may want to purchase the pdf of the shop manual from automanualsource.com for ~$22 to help with locating and how to access. It is worth the investment when doing DIY work.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:13 PM
Default gauge cluster problems

Hi , I'm getting back to you on the idle issue for now. I got the service manual as advised and it has lots of info with diagrams ,all 2500 pages. I have one of the V6 cooling system,thermostat housing etc . I don't see a bleeder though.
There is a 6m bolt on the top side that holds down a part behind it and can remove it but no coolant comes out. Maybe I'm not navigating to the right place in the manual.
TY timl1066

Old 10-26-2021, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Forgot the 98 V6 may not have a bleeder on the thermostat housing. You can bleed air from the system by running the engine with the radiator cap removed to get any trapped air out.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:58 PM
Default gauge cluster problem

Thanks for the reply, I wanted to give you an update on progress to ask what to try next. On the idle issue,I did remove rad cap and ran the engine up from cold until the fan pack kicked on. I got alot of air bubbles out through the rad opening and that had ended a couple minutes ahead of fans starting , so i think bleeding is complete. The idle pulsed up and down faster by the end of bleeding but really no worst and the yellow check engine light is back on. Now ready for next step!
Since I was in the same area, I ohm tested the coolant temp sensor and ordered a replacement as it didn't read to specs. Not expensive like the first 2 pieces I have just had replaced, lol. Have'nt dove into the cluster re &re yet, (my son's job) but I find that some of the 501 ground section is still working, in the center section of the dash ie. clock,heater,radio (need to see the connection on that). Thanks ,timl1066
PS service manual is great !!