General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

General Q about the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Default General Q about the clutch

hello,

When I bought a manual transmission car, I was told that the clutch is the heart of the car and the less u use it, the longer it will last. Every minute that u press the clutch, its life reduces by that much time.... Now, lets assume that I am at a red traffic lite. Should I put it in neutral and take the foot off the clutch to save its lifetime or should I keep the clutch pressed and in first gear? Does keeping the clutch depressed reduces its life or does the number of times I press the clutch and take it off reduce it? In other words, will keeping the clutch depressed for an hour and then letting it off reduce its life by an hour?

Any tips for longer life of the clutch?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: General Q about the clutch

The only time the clutch experiences wear is during the process of engaging and disengaging. Go to www.howstuffworks.com and look up manual transmissions, clutches, etc. Its really well done.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:11 PM

You can however prolong the life of your throw-out bearing by sitting in neutral at the stop light.... it's a strange habit but I do it... generally speaking your clutch is going to go out long before the bearing so it's not a huge concern...

Old 02-07-2007, 02:56 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

You can however prolong the life of your throw-out bearing by sitting in neutral at the stop light.... it's a strange habit but I do it...
I do the same thing quite often, not because of the throwout bearing, just because my leg gets tired of holding in the freakin clutch all the time, since I drive 99% in the city lol.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i can think of a few things that are the heart of the car over the clutch...But .. i agree with the members who suggested to have car in neutral if you sit at a long lite,, if a short lite or stop and go traffic i would keep clutch depressed,, clutch wears anytime you push the pedal in and out

Under normal driving condition and if you know how to use a clutch properly,, clutch should last you anywhere from 100,000 to 200,000 miles

Old 02-07-2007, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: poser_pilot6

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

You can however prolong the life of your throw-out bearing by sitting in neutral at the stop light.... it's a strange habit but I do it...
I do the same thing quite often, not because of the throwout bearing, just because my leg gets tired of holding in the freakin clutch all the time, since I drive 99% in the city lol.
I agree......same here.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:13 PM

I always leave the clutch out & car in neutral while at a light. Unless you're asleep when the light changes it only takes a split second to put it in first and go.