General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Geniune Honda or aftermarket - timing belt set

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I have read about a lot of people using an impact wrench to get that bolt loose. Some impact wrenches could not loosen that bolt. That bolt will be the toughest part of the job. I would try to loosen that first before doing anything else.

If you run into a problem, you may want to take your car to a shop. They usually have a powerful impact wrench and a big air compressor that can loosen the bolt. Then they can snug it back down. Find out if the shop would be willing to do this and find out the cost.
is that the reason as to why it's not recommended to use an impact gun? because there's a potential that the gun isn't powerful enough? assuming it is, is there any other reason? i'm asking because my friend has one used by an auto shop on a day-to-day basis so the power isn't the problem. i'm just worried that i might spin threads or snap the shaft or bolt or something else....

Old 08-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the impacting of the wrench has the possibility of cracking the end of the crank off.
I am not saying it is common but it can and has happened.
My mechanic has had it happen to him on a Honda.

I think it is good practice to not use an impact on a crank bolt...YMMV

Old 08-31-2011, 04:53 PM

okay, thank you for your opinion. i'll definitely take that in to consideration.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

There is a video on the ericthecarguy web site that he sells for around $10. The timing belt is for a 97 accord, but will be very similar to your 02. It goes through the process step by step.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Whether you use an impact or restraint tool, you can reduce torque to break bolt loose by heating bolt head w/ propane torch for 3-5 mins.

I used an air impact (ingersol rand rated to over 500 ft-lbs) and it would not break my Acura MDX bolt (same size bolt as Accord but higher torque value) until I heated. W/ heat it came off quickly.

good luck

Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

If heat is used, I personally suggest replacing the front crank seal even through it might not have been leaking before....high heat, old rubber...replace. It will be another 100K miles before you "see" that seal again.

To the point of others, a shop might "hit" it with their air tool for nothing, slip the guy/gal a $5 or something..

As far as brands, I trust the products produced/sold by Gates-I consider them a leader in "rubber" products and being that leader they would not let their name be "tarnished" by a bad wp or bearing being with/sold with thier rubber products...sorry small rant. They offer a "kit" that comes with WP, both belts and the tensioner. I've their kit on the 95 twice now, have no worries or issues to date. Also use their products on the other Accords I own. You can search online for prices and do your comparisons from there.

Last edited by poorman212; 09-01-2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Changed info