General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help car cranks has spark and fuel but wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Default RE: help car cranks has spark and fuel but wont start?

that pretty much sums it up.

just for fun, try cranking the engine while you knock on the top of the pump assembly. this can knock some sense into the motor and it may start up and run for a bit....just for fun.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:51 PM
fastdart360
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

if it has power EVERY time but is only pressurizing on occasion then it has to be the pump... consistent power means the ignition and main relay are fine, it's not moving so I highly doubt it's a ground issue (might be worth a look though...) so that leaves the pump...

How are you verifying that the pump comes on? Is it that you hear it pressurize? If so then I'd say your diagnostics all point to the pump based on the condition that is has power...
Im can here the pump now come on and with the banjo fitting loose fuel goes ever where, and when the banjo fittin is tighten i can here is pressurize and cut off. right now the pump is cutting off and on evertime justlike it should when i turn the key on but im not gonna trust it. i'll replace the pump,
Any do's and donts i should know? thanks for help, this is really helping me out a lot

Old 01-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The fuel pump can not be replaced through the trunk access plate, at least on the 94-97 Accords. The pax sideaccesscoveronly accessed the fuel gauge assy. The fuel pump is on the driver's side (no access plate). Your 98 could be different though.

To be sure I had a bad fuel pump, I rigged a tell-tale light in the pax compartment on pax side to allow me to see each time I started or attempted to start, whether fuel pump was getting power. In my case, the power was there and pump would not run. I found that "hammering" the pump w/ repeated application of power by cycling the keyswitch would start the pump and allow car to start/run until next time it was stopped.

good luck

Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 PM
fastdart360
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

that pretty much sums it up.

just for fun, try cranking the engine while you knock on the top of the pump assembly. this can knock some sense into the motor and it may start up and run for a bit....just for fun.
I hammered on the pump a few times and it did start running, but i dont think im gonna trust it .
Yall are genuis

Old 01-24-2008, 07:28 PM

fyi - on 1998-2008 accords you can replace the pump through the access panel.

when replacing the pump...

step one: do not smoke.

roll down all the windows and open the trunk(of course)

ground yourself(touch a piece of exposed metal on the vehicle body)

Old 01-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

fyi - on 1998-2008 accords you can replace the pump through the access panel.
That's a nice feature. I thought at the time of my94 Accord repair, it was a considerable oversight not to have access plates for both sides.

regards

Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 AM

I was sooooo gonna say don't smoke! Haha. HondaTech beat me to it. Nice instuctions HondaTech[sm=smiley20.gif]Is that from a Helm?