General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help me Diagnose which rotor is warped

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Default Help me Diagnose which rotor is warped

Hey all, been a long time. Okay, I absolutely need rear brakes (according to my mechanic, 2 months ago [:@]). My rotors have been shot for a while. Whenever I brake , especially at high speeds, my car shakes (steering wheel).

I want to purchase the parts myself and have a mechanic install. How do I figure out which rotors are warped? Can I diagnose by driving? Also, please recommend an online store as I'm sure the Honda parts are ridiculously expensive from the dealer. Note the mileage of my car below... If I get to 180K I'll be happy. sheesh.

thanks!!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Help me Diagnose which rotor is warped

From posts, the consensus seems to be that inexpensive rotors from Autozone, ORiellys, et al are OK for typical use.

I would start w/ both front rotors and see how that works. Warped rear rotors shouldn't cause steering wheel shake but would cause some pulsation in the brake pedal.

good luck

Old 03-04-2008, 05:50 PM

Thanks TH, Would you recommend changing the brake pads out for front at the same time the rotors are replaced. Also, this sounds like a dumb question, but when my mechanic mentioned I need rear brakes for the rear, do you suppose he naturally meant pads? Or would have said "callipers" for replacing the actual brakes?

thanks

Old 03-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Absolutely new pads w/ new front rotors.

Rear, I would wait to see unless the pads are completely gone.

good luck

Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: maro

How do I figure out which rotors are warped?
You can use a dial indicator to measure runout and a micrometer to measure parallelism.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:56 AM

thanks, where am I getting these tools from and what is the process?

Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 AM

I'd go with Brembo blank rotors. They cost about $40 a piece and are made better than no-names.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:37 PM

I think I've read here in the past that putting new rotors on can be a pain. Is this true? and....if so, what is the usual charge to have a mechanic install them? I just asked the guy who installed my master and slave cylinder for 120 and he quoted me 150 to install the rotors (front)... This seems like a ton of money! Any help on this would be fantastic!

thanks

-Josh

Old 03-05-2008, 11:17 PM

rotors in our cars are a pretty big pain, you have to take off the axle nut to get to them, and those things have a several-hundred-ft-lb breakout torque. I'm with falkore on buying brembo blank rotors, their $40 apiece and have heard nothing but good things about them. As far as figuring out which rotors are warped, your most likely going to have to take the car to a mechanic who has the aformentioned tools, as those are not cheap.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 AM

I can't speak for a 5th gen, but the 7th gen's are a breeze to replace; took me a whole 20 minutes to do all 4...

If you're talking about vibrations in the steering wheel/column, chances are those are the front rotors... as TH said most of the time rear warped rotors cause a knocking/vibration feeling in the pedal only; or in the rear of the car if it's strong enough...

If you have drums in the back, there's a chance that those AREN'T warped... those are harder to warp, and don't wear down that fast... I've seen cars 20+ yrs old on the original rear pads/rotors!!!!

I would try to get both the fronts machined at OReilly for $10/rotor and call it a day...

Quick Reply: Help me Diagnose which rotor is warped