General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

High beam / low beam issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 PM

I need to double-check this, but I was trying to determine which lighting relay may be bad and was removing, reinserting, and swapping them from left to right when I realized it's as simple as the one on the left, labeled "1", controls the lights on the same side (left when facing the car) and the one labeled "2" controls the other. More importantly, there was either a bad connection or just jiggling the relay - it is mechanical, yes ? - as it seems to be working now. I presume this is temporary though....

Is the dealer the only place I can get these ? I've had no luck looking online.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

You probably can pick it at some auto parts stores. Wells is one of the aftermarket makers of it. I'll look up the Wells part number in a second.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like there's a lot of aftermarket suppliers: Airtex/Wells 1R1367, Standard Motor Products RY1527, Beck/Arnley 203-0133, etc.

Looks like a few other makes of cars also use the similar relay.

The Honda part number should be 39794-S04-014. You can check the cross-reference numbers for it.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 PM

I did a lookup on Wells' website and there didn't seem to be one listed. I'll look for the other numbers as well.

The Airtex/Wells # comes up with a variety of functions, i.e. horn relay, window relay, radiator fan, etc. Does that sound right ?

Thanks !

Last edited by hallstevenson; 08-06-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

A lot of them should work. You should have several similar type relays in the same fuse/relay box that can be swapped.

I just used the search term "39794-S04-014 cross reference". I also used an older Honda part number too. The Honda part number I listed superseded an older part number.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 AM

I found plenty of them available online and they're so cheap, I'll likely just buy (2) of them. I tried Autozone, Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, and O'Reilly websites and they all seemed to indicate "call the store" (to be sure). I think that in the store, Autozone can cross-reference various numbers so I might just try that.

Tried Autozone's site again and found it... . They even say it's made by Wells
Duralast products are engineered and manufactured by Wells Vehicle Electronics, a leading global supplier of advanced vehicle electronics solutions for original equipment and replacement applications. Every component either matches or improves on the OE design to ensure fast, easy installation, superior performance and reliability. Wells offers extensive application information and technical support via its Tech Line at 1-800-558-9770.
I just wish it said "Wells" on it instead of Duralast though !

Found the 203-0133 part on O'Reilly's site but they say it doesn't fit my car. If I input "203-0133" on Autozone's site, they refer back to the same relay as above. So I think O'Reilly's site is just wrong.

Last edited by hallstevenson; 08-07-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
In a change of course related to this query of mine, the more I read about headlight bulbs, it seems that many are gimmicks and don't offer any real-world improvement. So, I will likely just stick with stock but go with something like GE Nighthawk bulbs (1) or similar. I am also replacing the driver-side headlight assembly as it's got that glazed-over covering.

Anyway, I didn't realize it until someone commented in the above-linked thread, but when you have the high-beams on in this model, BOTH the high and low beams are on at the same time (explains the 20a fusing per side). Now, both low beams work and both high beams work, but when the highs are on, on the passenger side, the low doesn't come on at the same time. What would cause that ? A relay ?

(1) I will read up more myself, but any comments on the differences between the standard Nighthawks, the Sport version, or the Platinum version ?
In regards to bulbs, look in the Philip HIR bulbs. The Candle Power store has more info. The bulbs can also be purchased via Amazon. A slight modification of the bulb's plastic base is needed though. I have Philips HIR as low beams in my car. I don't use high beam much; so, I didn't bother with replacing those.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:54 PM

I've read about these HIR bulbs. They're out of production though, as I understand. Yes ? If so, as their supply decreases, they'll cost more and more....

Candle Store only has them in 9011 and 9012, but say "for those wishing to modify and upgrade existing 9005 and 9006 type lamps". Does that mean you use the 9011 and 9012 in place of 9005 and 9006 ? They're $28/ea from there too ! That's too high for me, I think.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

The 9011 is used in place of 9005 bulbs (high beam).
The 9012 is used in place of 9006 bulbs (low beam).

Both the 9011 and 9012 plastic base needs to be shaved a bit (modified) to fit. Both 9011 and 9012 have more actual usable light for vision.

Toshiba doesn't make the original anymore. Philips is the new maker and at least, for the 9012 is an improved bulb over the old one.

Amazon sells both the 9011 and 9012 for less.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 AM

Okay - I read more after I posted above. I had heard of these and knew Toshiba and Philips were involved, but I thought both companies quit producing them and what was for sale out there was simply "old stock".

I also saw some details on the "modifications" required - it's a lot LESS work than I was anticipating ! I may give them a try (for both my Accord and my wife's Odyssey). We're moving very soon and may be doing much more "country" driving and at night. I like your idea of only doing the low beams but for us, we may be using high beams a LOT more than we used to. I don't want to spend $80-100 on light bulbs though ! What to do, what to do...

Quick Reply: High beam / low beam issue