General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

High idle and weird CVT feeling after trans service and valve cover replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 06:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
That doesn't make sense either. I'm looking at a 2010 accord shop manual that is close to the 16 accord engine. There is a ground on the passenger side of the valve cover that is important. Make sure you got your grounds connected properly. Maybe the video will show the ground location better in case you missed reattaching.
I never disconnected a ground, that I know being a ground. I watched the video and I feel good that I did exactly what they directed. It was quite simple, I thought.

Mike

Old 12-10-2022, 06:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Pics I just took. On the passenger side, there are 3 connectors. I removed all 3 when I replaced the valve cover to have clear access the way I saw it. I have had them apart and back connected again since. I'm not sure what they are exactly, maybe the lowert connector in the pic of 2 is a cam sensor?

I have really tried to care for my car, with 225K miles on it now. I think it pretty clean.

Mike

Old 12-10-2022, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Try disconnecting the battery to reset the PCM. Hopefully the idle settles and doesn't affect shifting.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Try disconnecting the battery to reset the PCM. Hopefully the idle settles and doesn't affect shifting.
Did that and no change. I have ordered another valve cover to install when it gets here. If the transmission still shifts odd and high idle, I'm taking it back to the dealer where they serviced the transmission. I would have went over my work several times and I can feel for sure it was not caused by me.

Still, any other thoughts are welcomed !

Mike

Old 12-13-2022, 12:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Absolutely crazy thing I noticed today after a 75 mile drive. Idle is down to 750-800 AND the transmission is not acting up like it was.

Im wondering if I needed more time to re-learn everything. I had only given it a 7-10 mile drive before.

I will monitor the behavior for a week or two to see if it is actually fixed.

Thanks again for the suggestions !

Mike

Old 08-09-2023, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by mrlittlejohn
Absolutely crazy thing I noticed today after a 75 mile drive. Idle is down to 750-800 AND the transmission is not acting up like it was.

Im wondering if I needed more time to re-learn everything. I had only given it a 7-10 mile drive before.

I will monitor the behavior for a week or two to see if it is actually fixed.

Thanks again for the suggestions !

Mike
Is this what ultimately fixed it in the end? Just resetting and driving it for miles to relearn?

Old 08-09-2023, 11:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Kadised
Is this what ultimately fixed it in the end? Just resetting and driving it for miles to relearn?
the idle has stayed down to a normal state to me. As for the CVT feeling… it stopped the downshift surging and that has returned to a degree of maybe half of what it was back when I recognized the issue. I’m not sure if it is actually something with the way the Accord programming is or not. I do know that my sons 2016 Civic does not do this at all.

Is there still something going weird? I don’t know.

I hope to have been helpful.

Mike