General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord 1998 LX 4cyl starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Unhappy Honda Accord 1998 LX 4cyl starting problem

Hello

for the past 4 days my honda has been giving problems, here are the problems it has, when driving the car will start to idle with the rpm going up and down then shut off. after the car shuts off we then try and start it and you hear the fuel pump and the engin turning over but no luck the engine just keeps turning like it wants to start. So when i got home i connected jumper cables from my scion to my honda to see if it was a battery problem but the car still did not want to start (same problem as befor). im not sure whats going on with the car now i need your help guys.

Note: the dash gauges dont work as well as the internal digital clock and windows as well this happend 2 weeks prior to this problem happening that i state above now my great honda is looking real bad right now please help me fix my baby.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When keyswitch is first turned to On, the check engine (CEL), alt, oil pressure lights should come on. CEL should go off in a 2-3 secs. If this is not happening, the electrical ignition switch assembly is likely the fault. Replacement is an easy 1/2-1 hr diy job.

good luck

Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Newest Of Newbies

this is what im thinking is the problem, the only problem though is that nothing on the dash is working due to a fault 2-3 weeks prior to this problem. but everything i have ready with the problem with the car having a hard time to start and shutting off points to this ignition switch. i will try this and get back to you thanks.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well i went out today and changed my spark plugs as they were filled with oil as well so now i know i have a bigger problem than i thought but this shouldnt keep it from fireing up as the plugs spark, i think there is just not enought power in the coil and the other component that i have no name for.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Oil in spark plug wells is a common problem and a simple fix. Change the valve cover gasket and the upper seals. I have use fel-pro gaskets and like them. There is a writeup in the DIY section about how to do this. It has also been covered a lot, so search the forum.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok thanks PAhonda i will look for this and see if i can fix the problem, any idea why the car wont start now it was fine about 1 week ago then all of a sudden stop starting, now i have checke the spark plugs and they are sparking. could it be that its not getting enought power to create a strong enough spark? sometimes you hear the car try to start up but then fails.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Before or after the oil? The oil can promote shorting across the surface of the insulators. That in turn can etch tracks which will continue to short after the oil is cleaned off. So sparkplugs might be bad even though they look OK.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well i just put in brand new bosch platinum plugs in the car Jim. could the plugs still be bad i have not even checked the ignition switch i believe its called. Sorry if i dont know the tech terms im not really a car guy but will learn quick. if you can point me in the direction to find where the ignition switch is would prob help for me to check this as well.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

What about a ignition switch fuse if this exist could this also be a problem?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

The possibility TexasHonda mentioned is the electrical part of the ignition switch. It's behind the key cylinder, in the steering column. Electrical contacts get worn, it's not very rare for Hondas.

Lots of stories around here about Bosch plugs not being the best in Hondas. Seems to me it's a lifespan or misfiring issue; not a problem where it completely doesn't start. Hondas seem to get along best with NGK plugs. I'm not sure why and I'm a little bit skeptical, but I've heard LOTS of those stories.

Quick Reply: Honda Accord 1998 LX 4cyl starting problem