General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda accord 1999 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Default Honda accord 1999 oil leak

Hi, I am looking to see if I did the right thing. My honda accord 1999 which has 161,000 miles on it has been leaking oil. I noticed that about two days ago and check the level of oil it was below the mark on the dipstick. Brought it to my repair person who cleaned the engine and put dye thru to see where the leak was coming from. He did show me all the oil under the car when it was up on the rack and it was more than I thought. Anyways they started working on it and found it was the oil pump that was defective. Their suggestion was

Oil pan gasket
Cam shaft seal
oil pump
water pump with gasket
time belt replaced (it was due for a change anyway)
crank shaft seal
valve cover
Auxillary shaft seal
Balance shaft belt

There were a few more things (all the seals are going to be replaced) but I cannot read my scribble. He quoted me $1300. I fear this is way overpriced but since I cannot do the job myself (65 years old) and I need a car just for one more year till I can retire. I told him to go ahead. my question is Is this way overpriced??
Thank you
Shirley

Old 12-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Seems a bit high in my opinion. I'm hung up on the oil pump part of the description. Rare in my opinion they need to be replaced, yes there is an o-ring seal but never replace the whole thing.

All of the other seals and that I would do if I was doing it or having someone do it.....again I'm hung up on the oil pump part of this. Just doesn't sound right but I can't see it.

Then even if you pass on this part (you save X on the job) and have to add a quart of oil between every oil change for the next year....what does that work out to.

EDIT: if you do go there....request that all of the old/replaced parts be given to you. You have the right to request this and they should - have to by law in many of not all states - honor this request.

Attached Thumbnails Honda accord 1999 oil leak-6th-gen-oil-pump-4-cyl.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 12-02-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:51 PM

Thank you for your reply. I will certainly ask for the parts tomorrow when I call them. They had mention it could have been something called the main which is something more expensive. However I guess I will have to choke it up and learn my lesson the hard way. Next time before I jump the gun will contact someone here.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

The main seal is around the crankshaft - in the middle of Poorman's picture. I think they should be able to change that without removing the oil pump.

Just because it's "unusual" for the oil pump itself to actually go bad, it's not impossible. We can't see it from here, but it sounds plausible that it's leaking from one or more of the shaft seals. In that case the oil pump doesn't have to be bad.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 AM

Thank you all for your help. They just called and like you said the oil pump is fine. They said the leak was coming from a Balance Shaft Housing which was being replaced along with all the seals, timing belt, water pump, etc. Can you tell me what that part is??
Thank you for your time
Shirley

Old 12-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Upper right side of the "pump housing" in Poorman's picture, there's an oval opening with 2 holes in it. That housing fits into there.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 PM

Hi Shirl51,
I don't know in what part of the country you are in but I had a bad oil leak and it was the balance shaft seal. Since to get to that seal they were going to have to work in the timing belt area I just had the timing belt replaced which included the water pump and all of the seals such as the cam shaft seal,water pump, timing belt and crank shaft seal. I was charged $425 and I am in Miami, Florida. I hope they brought down your estimate. If you paid a lot more than that I probably would look around for a more reputable or less gouging type mechanic.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

This pic might help.......the o-ring "B" is what must have had the leak.....based upon the decription. But again, it is an o-ring seal?

Attached Thumbnails Honda accord 1999 oil leak-6th-gen-4-cyl-balance-shaft-gear-case.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 12-04-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Default 1999 accord v6 fast pace oil leak.

Have a had oil leak right hand side of motor. It's leaks about 1qrt every 25 miles. I was told its the crank shaft seal?
Any advice or suggestions to this? So I can buy the parts.?
Thank you

Old 06-25-2017, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

If it is the crank seal, might as well do the timing belt "job" as most everything to do for that job you are going to have to do to get to the seal

Quick Reply: Honda accord 1999 oil leak