General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord 2005 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 03:35 PM
Default Honda Accord 2005 starting problems

Hi l, I have 2005 Honda estate and a new problem has arisen as I can’t get it to start. At first I thought it’s a flat battery But I took out and charged when I put it back in everything seemed normal there were lights and power to everything and when I put ignition on everything is fine and the dash lit up but when I went to crank the engine All power was lost no lights no windows no radio all power had seemingly gone. So I went to disconnect the battery and then I reconnected it after doing that I had power back but as soon as I went to crank it again the same thing happened. I looked through forums and it doesn’t seem that anyone had a similar problem just wondering if anyone could help.

Noah

Old 05-12-2020, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Does the power return to the car when you release the key when attempting to start the car?

Old 05-12-2020, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Does the power return to the car when you release the key when attempting to start the car?
hi no after turning the key it completely dies but after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery the power will restore

Old 05-12-2020, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

When my honda normally starts, I'm almost 100% positive the radio, interior lights, etc shut off when the key is in the start position. Releasing the key to the II position returns the power.

Have you done any recent work on your car before you noticed this current issue?

I don't want to recommend any parts so you don't waste money replacing good parts. Also, I've seen where some aftermarket parts are bad out of the box and can make diagnosing much more difficult, because you can easily incorrectly assume a brand new part is working properly. So turning the key through the different positions does not return power to the vehicle unless you mess with the battery?

Your description sounds like you could have a possible issue with the electrical portion of the ignition switch, except that disconnecting the reconnecting the battery restores the vehicle's power. I would recommend disconnecting the battery, then clean all ends of both + and - battery cables with a wire brush or a piece of sandpaper. Clean the bolt and eyelet to ensure you have a good connections.

Then repeat your test, and try to restore power by turning the key to the II position and wiggling the key.