General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda accord 98 still shifts erratically and now overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Default Honda accord 98 still shifts erratically and now overheating

Good day to you all in the forum, after cleaning the solenoids the car still shift erratically both upshifts and downshifts with large bang more severe when the temperature is hot outside. This morning I drove to a place about 25km it shift smoothly and no banging at all. But on coming back home around 2pm this afternoon it begins to shift erratic and it wasn't comfortable for me to drive and I discover the temperature gauge rose high I have to stop. I checked the radiator it wasn't leaking and both fans are working perfectly. As it is now I cannot travel long distances with the car. I don't know why it was overheating, I am thinking because of the stress imposed from the gear irregular shifts on the engine making it to overheats. I am planning replacing both the engine and the auto transmission by January next year.
Any useful suggestion from members in the forum will be helpful.
Thanks

Old 12-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Rilex
Good day to you all in the forum, after cleaning the solenoids the car still shift erratically both upshifts and downshifts with large bang more severe when the temperature is hot outside. This morning I drove to a place about 25km it shift smoothly and no banging at all. But on coming back home around 2pm this afternoon it begins to shift erratic and it wasn't comfortable for me to drive and I discover the temperature gauge rose high I have to stop. I checked the radiator it wasn't leaking and both fans are working perfectly. As it is now I cannot travel long distances with the car. I don't know why it was overheating, I am thinking because of the stress imposed from the gear irregular shifts on the engine making it to overheats. I am planning replacing both the engine and the auto transmission by January next year.
Any useful suggestion from members in the forum will be helpful.
Thanks
If cleaning the solenoids didn't fix it, it's probably shot. Was it slipping and staying in lower gears driving home in the afternoon? If so, that was the cause of your overheating. Sounds like a transmission replacement is in your future sooner than planned

Old 12-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

When your engine temperature gets hot, turn the heat on full blast inside the car to help cool it down.

How dirty were the solenoids?

When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and verify the radiator is full of coolant. Let us know if you have to add coolant.

Are you planning on replacing the engine/transmission next month?

Old 12-11-2019, 03:07 AM

We did clean the small filter inside the solenoids. Is slipping and slowing in lower gear in hot afternoon. You said is "probably shot" I don't understand. I am looking forward getting another engine/auto transmissione. Is being 7 years using using the car and no problem so far

Old 12-11-2019, 03:17 AM

The solenoids filter was actually dirty, how do I test for good functioning solenoids. It slipps and slow in lower gear in hot afternoon. You said is "probably shot" I don't understand can you explain. I am going for another engine/auto transmission

Old 12-11-2019, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rilex
You said is "probably shot" I don't understand can you explain.
"probably shot" is an informal way of saying something is broken beyond easy repair.

Luck

Old 12-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh
"probably shot" is an informal way of saying something is broken beyond easy repair.

Luck
Exactly. Also why I said the trans replacement is in your future sooner than planned (won't make it to January).

Old 12-13-2019, 12:59 PM

I have another Honda car 1990 model parked for 7 months now I wil try to fix it, the automatic transmission is still functioning the only problem is the leaking engine which can easily be done by the mechanic. I will save money for used engine/automatic transmission for replacement in my Honda accord 1998 model by January ending. The car body is still very good and neats, I prefer Honda cars due to spacious environment inside. I do hope to get good engine/auto transmission that will last at least for 3 years. I am making necessary arrangement and negotiations on the cost here in Nigeria.
Thanks