General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord Battery upgrage

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 10:00 AM
Default Honda Accord Battery upgrage

Hi, I am trying to replace/upgrade my 51r battery of honda accord 2012 SE with group 24f or 35 battery and noticed that battery clamp has a trapezoid like structure (circled with red paint) to clamp the small 51r battery, is that detachable or do i need to buy new v6 clamp to upgrade to larger size group 24f or 35 battery?\
Also, since there is considerable gap left between the 51r battery and battery cover, do i need to buy new battery cover + battery tray for larger battery?

thank you.

Last edited by SJ443; 11-16-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:21 AM

Yes, that plastic bar that holds the battery in place. The thing that you circled does come out. I recently took mine out. You can take that off. And also after you take that off. Then you will take the battery out. Then you will see if there is a another plastic bottom that is bolted in probably. What you probably want to do. Is measure that to see if your new battery can be put in there.

Heck you could probably take a set tools and take your car down to wherever you are going to buy the new battery. And just quickly take it out. And see if you can try to install the new battery in it. If it's like parts store, sometimes they could even help you install it for you.
Just be careful you don't drop any small nuts. If it goes under the car sometimes you wont be able to find it. Then you will have to take the other nut off and go down to the hardware store and match it.

Last edited by plenum; 11-16-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:42 PM

Thank you for the reply. I was talking about the wing shaped structure that is attached to the bar that holds that battery down, is that removable?

Old 11-16-2022, 12:47 PM

Yeah, try removing those two bolts. I think you need a deep socket.

Old 11-16-2022, 12:50 PM

Great. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:22 PM

Yeah let me know if you need any help. Depending on the design. I'm assuming. When you get those two nuts off. You follow those two long bolts. They will connect on the bottom holder. You just kind of slide them off.

Old 11-16-2022, 05:55 PM

oh i think you are talking about the j shaped bolt, i know that can be taken out but i was talking about the thing pointed with purple arrow, can that be detached from handle as it will not allow be to add larger battery than 51r.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by SJ443
oh i think you are talking about the j shaped bolt, i know that can be taken out but i was talking about the thing pointed with purple arrow, can that be detached from handle as it will not allow be to add larger battery than 51r.
It doesn't look it can just be detached from the looks of it. It looks like it is a solid metal piece. Can you buy some replacement to fit with the new battery? Maybe you can mod that piece to fit with the new battery? I think you could cut it off with dremel cutting wheel. The problem is by doing that, would that piece hold the new battery in place? And let us say you wanted to go back to the old battery some time down the road. I'm not sure that is a good idea.

Edit: I'm trying to research this for you to see if I can find any information out. I found a video (although not for your year of the honda accord). That there are suppose to be replacement parts you have to buy when you upgrade the battery (although another video claims you do not have to replace most of them). In this video it does mention a wider plate (hold down bar) to go along side the top. You might indeed need to upgrade that plate (hold down bar). I'm not sure what the prices are on these parts. If it's too expensive, if it were me. I would try to mod it.

And to answer another part of your question

Originally Posted by SJ443
Also, since there is considerable gap left between the 51r battery and battery cover, do i need to buy new battery cover + battery tray for larger battery?
Actually no you do not. If it doesn't fit, just take the battery tray out. Run a search on youtube and find the video "Honda Accord Battery Upgrade - No New Parts Needed! Super Easy!" His video covers

2013 - 2017 Honda Accord (9th Generation) ...
2008 - 2012 Honda Accord (8th Generation) .

Last edited by plenum; 11-17-2022 at 12:27 AM.