General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda is leaking! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 04:38 PM
Default Honda is leaking! HELP!

Hi,
I have a 2008 Honda Accord LX sedan and every time it rains, my car starts to leak really bad. We originally thought it was coming from the windshield because it had been replaced 5 months prior to the leaking. I put down a towel to catch the rain and that gets soaked. Sometimes it’s a few drips and sometimes it’s constant. My worries is it’s leaking onto wires and my speaker. Can anyone help me try to figure out what the issue is and where it could possibly be coming from? Also see attached pictures (rusted from leaking)! It is the basic model. No sunroof, rain covers over windows, etc. originally thought it was the windshield placed or sealed incorrectly, but we got that completely redone and it is still leaking. The only time is leaks is in the rain or a car wash. The leak is coming out of the white box pictured. Nothing else in the car is wet (besides where it drips onto), so I am unsure if it’s coming out of the white box or just going over it? Does anyone know what this white box is?

Last edited by Brit6876; 08-23-2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: More info
Old 08-22-2019, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

I cannot tell where the leak is coming from based upon the pictures; pretty good bet it is either the new windshield or due to the sunroof drains being clogged. Unclogging the drains is probably a good first start. Personally I use an old-school speedometer cable core to run down the drains to push any crap through which may have accumulated. If you don't have access to something like that, you might want to take it to your dealer to unclog; I'm sure they've seen this issue lots of times and can fix it pretty quickly.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:22 PM

Hi,
I had the window taken off yesterday and looked at and they said it wasn’t coming from there, so we officially ruled out it coming in from the windshield. Also, the car has no sunroof. Do you have any other ideas?

Old 08-22-2019, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Then either door seal or window seal.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Have you sat inside to watch while it's leaking? That might help narrow down the places to look for.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Along Jim Blake's suggestion, sit inside and have an assistant put a garden hose to different areas around the driver's side door, roof, and windshield. You should get a better idea of the location when you see the water coming in.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Have you sat inside to watch while it's leaking? That might help narrow down the places to look for.
Yes, and it is coming from the white box pictured in the original post. Nothing else in the car is wet except that box. It tends to drip out of that and splatter onto the speaker(occasionally) and floor. The mechanic looked at it and said it was the windshield on the drivers side not being placed right. Went back to safelight (they did the original replacement) and the manager took it off, tested it and replaced it but claimed it was not coming from that. I do not think it is the door because it is coming from above my left foot (on foot rest pictured in car).

Old 08-23-2019, 04:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Just a thought with insufficient information, but Honda Odyssey (I have one as my haul vehicle) have a common problem with failing body sealant on the joint for the roof panel to the side panel causes a significant leak. On the Odyssey the water drips from the top of the A pillar, and perhaps on the Accord it would run down the A pillar before emerging; that would be about where you are seeing it. When you pull the rain channel cover off of the roof you likely won't actually SEE the failure, but application of a little more sealant under the cover piece might fix the problem. If it does, a better job of resealing would be more permanent. When I sealed my Odyssey I used a black roof sealant from Home Depot while others on the Odyssey forum used an actual auto body sealer. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by dkwilfert
Just a thought with insufficient information, but Honda Odyssey (I have one as my haul vehicle) have a common problem with failing body sealant on the joint for the roof panel to the side panel causes a significant leak. On the Odyssey the water drips from the top of the A pillar, and perhaps on the Accord it would run down the A pillar before emerging; that would be about where you are seeing it. When you pull the rain channel cover off of the roof you likely won't actually SEE the failure, but application of a little more sealant under the cover piece might fix the problem. If it does, a better job of resealing would be more permanent. When I sealed my Odyssey I used a black roof sealant from Home Depot while others on the Odyssey forum used an actual auto body sealer. Good luck.

when the windshield was replaced 2 days ago, he resealed the entire A pillar and made sure to put extra just in case. We thought it was coming from there as well, but the manager tested before and after and no water was coming from that area specifically:/

Old 08-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Take a look at the condition of the 3 grommets on the side.

Quick Reply: Honda is leaking! HELP!