General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Noob

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:36 PM

@ poorman212.. Your post was fine & quite helpful. I appreciate your input.

It was directed at a post that said I confused them. I was under the impression that I was as detailed as I could possibly be about what the problem was.. I would love to be more acquainted w/my vehicle by diagnosing the noises it makes. I mean I could tell you if something is dragging behind the car, it probably isn't good. However, internal noises I'm clueless, Lol.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Here are some simpler items that you can try to do.

I would disconnect the battery. Clean all ends of both battery cables with a small brass wire brush. You want to remove any rust or corrosion. Clean up the battery posts as well.

The next item is to start listening for the fuel pump to turn on. Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light turns on for about 2 seconds, the fuel pump should also turn on for about 2 seconds. The fuel pump makes a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat, so turn off your radio, blower, etc... and listen carefully. Let us know if you can hear that sound when the car is starting normally. Also let us know if that sound is present or missing when the car is not starting.

How many miles are on this car? Do you know the maintenance history on this car? You might want to call your local Honda Dealership and ask them if they have any service records on your Accord.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ScubaDVR2002
@ poorman212.. Your post was fine & quite helpful. I appreciate your input.

It was directed at a post that said I confused them. I was under the impression that I was as detailed as I could possibly be about what the problem was.. I would love to be more acquainted w/my vehicle by diagnosing the noises it makes. I mean I could tell you if something is dragging behind the car, it probably isn't good. However, internal noises I'm clueless, Lol.
Thanks! We all read things different. I know it is hard to have to wait for the next time the conditions are correct, to test, but at least you have a few more "tools" to figure out what the issue might be.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:26 PM

Thank you guys for helping me out! I'm learning more & more about my car. After a tune-up & an ignition coil replacement it seems to be running quite good. Next will be the transmission (shifting really hard) feels like my 1st time driving a 5-speed. Only prob is, it's an automatic.. Lol

@poorman212.. You ROCK!

@PAHonda.. Funny thing is I just found out this week when I attempted to put the front license plate on the car it didn't fit. Holes weren't aligned which left me w/the assumption that it is an out of state vehicle. Called up a Honda dealership they told me in order for them to find out if the car had been serviced at any of their locations I would have to fork over $120 first. The car has 89447 miles on it. Only maintenance history I have on it so far is what I have had done to it: Throttle body, tune-up & ignition coil. CarFax doesn't tell me anything. I've only owned the vehicle for 36 days. I have only been able to drive it 9 days out of those 36. Even though it has been completely frustrating.. I LOVE this car! Its gorgeous & when it starts it's smooth... It's in phenomenal condition considering it is 12yrs old.

(btw fuel pump is fine, i will need to do more maintenance on the car to get the best performance)

I am really happy that I joined the Honda Forum. You guys are extremely helpful. Thank you very much!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Great to hear you are making progress..

If the trans "seems" to shift hard, check the thorttle control cable for proper adjustment, then the mounts _frt usually goes, the one under the exh manifold. Next would be a drain and fill (or two) of the trans. Strongly suggest using only Honda trans fluid (z1 or dw1).

EDIT: And thank you for coming back with an update, too many times we never know what happens.....

Last edited by poorman212; 09-23-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:38 PM

I'm glad you suggested using only the Honda trans fluid b/c I've been told by others that any kind can be used. I spoke to a friend of mine they strongly disagreed (i.e. using "any" kind of fluid) due to the possibility of destroying my trans. So, I'm really happy to read that you suggested only using Honda fluid.

I kind of wanted to fix some cosmetic blemishes i.e. rust over the rear wheels. Unfortunately, Fall/Winter is fast approaching NE Ohio so that's a no go til' spring of next year. It's kind of funny, I went on eBay today to look for a rear trunk emblem (Accord) b/c it looks like someone ripped mine off. Listing stated they have a used rear Accord trunk emblem that they ripped off of a 99 Accord.. Thought that was humorous..

Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

The trans fluid is "kind of" a debate starter. I believe in it so again my opinion....

Well if you are going to go with patch panels, next spring, then you might slow down the iron jaw termites with a spray or gel type of rust preventer. Not good for the paint but might slow the rust from spreading further. You're going to have to re-paint anyway, just looking at reducing the amount of metal that has to be replaced/repaired.