General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hood release cable broken can't open hood no matter what help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Hood release cable broken can't open hood no matter what help!

I have a 2007 Honda Accord SE sedan. The hood latch release cable has broken, and I am unable to open my hood even from the front of the car underneath the Hood by the latch. I have tried a long screwdriver a pry bar but to no avail. I also have a secondary issue the reason I need to get under my hood is because every time I put the key in the ignition, my panic alarm goes off. Somehow when I was trying to reprogram my keys and I was in the car the panic alarm went off, and my remotes would not shut anything off or operate but all. Tried reprogramming them and still no remotes working. So as you can see I have no way to shut off the panic alarm I just have to wait about 5 minutes worth of shut off on its own. And I can't get underneath the hood to pull the switch connector or any fuses to stop it due to the problem at the beginning of this thread. Any help would be of great value. Thanks

Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tryinglikehell2
I have a 2007 Honda Accord SE sedan. The hood latch release cable has broken, and I am unable to open my hood even from the front of the car underneath the Hood by the latch. I have tried a long screwdriver a pry bar but to no avail. I also have a secondary issue the reason I need to get under my hood is because every time I put the key in the ignition, my panic alarm goes off. Somehow when I was trying to reprogram my keys and I was in the car the panic alarm went off, and my remotes would not shut anything off or operate but all. Tried reprogramming them and still no remotes working. So as you can see I have no way to shut off the panic alarm I just have to wait about 5 minutes worth of shut off on its own. And I can't get underneath the hood to pull the switch connector or any fuses to stop it due to the problem at the beginning of this thread. Any help would be of great value. Thanks
You might have to see what a 2007 Honda Accord hood latch looks like. Because when the hood latch broke on my honda 1993 accord. I figured out how to take a flat head screw driver, And move the latch right to left while bypassing the grill of the car (through a gap).

Also you might have to take a pliers and try pulling what is left of the cable inside of the car.

I remember having the same problem as you with my honda accord. And having an actual next door mechanic try to get it open with a pry bar as well too! (he failed with a pry bar) (I told him not to lock the stupid thing after oil change oh well, but he did) If you pull hard enough on the wire remaining and get lucky to open it. Keep it open and don't put it in the locked position yet. You might in the worse case scenario have to figure out how to open it up and put in a lock position with a flat head before lock it again! And trust me I tried to install new cable, it didn't work out too good well. The cable works, but you have to have super man strength to open it again. But at least it's something in an a emergency.

I guess the ultimate worse situation is using a angle grinder and just cutting everything. And have mod and getting a new hood latch. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I had to pull hard at the correct angle of what was left of the cable wire. If I failed I waited a while and tried again. I think it was straight or at a upper angle to pop it open. And I learned how to disable it so it didn't go to the lock position until I figured it out. I remember the special tool that the mechanic had didn't really help either.

Last edited by plenum; 08-02-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by plenum
You might have to see what a 2007 Honda Accord hood latch looks like. Because when the hood latch broke on my honda 1993 accord. I figured out how to take a flat head screw driver, And move the latch right to left while bypassing the grill of the car (through a gap).

Also you might have to take a pliers and try pulling what is left of the cable inside of the car.
Yup, my son broke the plastic handle on his Civic for the hood. In his case we just welded a fender washer to the end of it. It's been working 4 years now.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Yup, my son broke the plastic handle on his Civic for the hood. In his case we just welded a fender washer to the end of it. It's been working 4 years now.

Yeah (mods are better), I tried to drag a new line in, and it just wasn't worth it. After everything was done, it still doesn't work properly and smooth as it should. Even it did, it's not worth the effort to install a new one. I just had to do it ( should have just stuck with the flat head method), because some mechanic of course mentioned that the hood could fly off or break off. If it's not in the locked position. Although it never did and I did drive it on the highway. But I didn't want to take the risk anyways.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by plenum
Yeah (mods are better), I tried to drag a new line in, and it just wasn't worth it. After everything was done, it still doesn't work properly and smooth as it should. Even it did, it's not worth the effort to install a new one. I just had to do it ( should have just stuck with the flat head method), because some mechanic of course mentioned that the hood could fly off or break off. If it's not in the locked position. Although it never did and I did drive it on the highway. But I didn't want to take the risk anyways.
Yeah, I replaced the cable in my 99, as it got bent somewhere in the middle and wouldn't let the hood latch properly. I carried a flat head screw driver around (under the hood) just for resetting the latch. I got tired of doing that after a month or so, so I ordered a genuine Honda part off e-bay, then took part of an afternoon replacing it. It works great now, and was like 15 bucks including shipping for the cable.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:12 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Re post

Thanks for the info guys. How do you reset the inside latch the hood latch once the cable is broken. I have tried to move the latch with a screwdriver and cannot get it to move it all to unlock Hood.

Last edited by Tryinglikehell2; 08-03-2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Needed to put more information
Old 08-04-2019, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the info guys. How do you reset the inside latch the hood latch once the cable is broken. I have tried to move the latch with a screwdriver and cannot get it to move it all to unlock Hood.
If the cable is broken, you're kind of screwed. In that case you'll need to order a new cable first, then once you start digging in, you can cut a section out of the sheath, and pull just the cable with a vice grip.
Double check that it's the cable, and not the handle that is broken. The handle is made out of plastic, while the cable is wire rope.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Thanks to all who replied

I was finally able to get the hood opened. My friend used a long slim jim wire from underneath the front end and was able to open the cable latch. Thanks to all who replied to my post it is appreciated. FYI, I was also able to reset my alarm it kept going off every time I open the door. Disconnected the battery overnight. I replace the ground wire to the battery which was frayed. I then had to try and reprogram the key fobs so that the security system could identify My key. Then I read in the owner's manual that I had to use the key on the driver's door once it was reprogrammed, by turning it once to the right once to the left and back to the right then removing the key, this reset the immobilizer system. I hope this little trick helps somebody else that was in the same situation I was it was a pain in the ***.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:36 PM

I was finally able to get the hood opened. My friend used a long slim jim wire from underneath the front end and was able to open the cable latch. Thanks to all who replied to my post it is appreciated. FYI, I was also able to reset my alarm it kept going off every time I open the door. Disconnected the battery overnight. I replace the ground wire to the battery which was frayed. I then had to try and reprogram the key fobs so that the security system could identify My key. Then I read in the owner's manual that I had to use the key on the driver's door once it was reprogrammed, by turning it once to the right once to the left and back to the right then removing the key, this reset the immobilizer system. I hope this little trick helps somebody else that was in the same situation I was it was a pain in the ***.
So, you didn't replace the cable or anything, only re-set your alarm, so that the next time you need to open the hood (like for an oil change) you'll just get your neighbor to open it for you?

Old 08-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Some people

I think some people just like to hear themselves talk no matter how dumb they sound. My Hood is still unlatched I'm waiting for a new cable so I can install it

Quick Reply: Hood release cable broken can't open hood no matter what help!