General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Horn stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Default Horn stopped working

Pretty much as the title says. When I push the horn button on my 92 all I heart is a click from the relay. Am trying to figure out how to test what is wrong, So I guess what am trying to ask is how to you test the system to narrow it down to what the problem is. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Default RE: Horn stopped working

the first thing I would check is your fuses, then I'd get a volt meter and see if you get power to the horn when you push the button, if you do then it's probably a bad horn, if you don't then it may be either the relay, a corroded/broken wire or fuse related....

Old 04-25-2007, 11:14 AM

Ok there are 2 wires going to the horn is one a ground and one a power source, or is one constant power and the other only have power when the button is pressed. This is the part that confuses me. Also is the relay supose to click when the horn button is pressed.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2007, 12:05 PM

Did you check the fuses?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

white/yellow ...... should have power all the time,
blue/red .....should have ground with the horn button pushed in

if you have both and horn is inop you got a bad horn (s)
if you do not have power at wht/yellow, chk under hood fuse box fuse # 25 ,, 20 amps . if fuse is ok you got wiring issue from fuse box to horn
if no ground let me know there is a bit more troubleshooting

car has air bags correct ?? and cruise ?

Old 04-25-2007, 05:22 PM

yes car has airbag and cruise. The fuse is also ok it is always the first thing I check. I will let you know about the wires and stuff a little later.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:11 PM

Ok I checked the wiring and I have power in the white/yellow and nothin in the blue/red with or without the horn pressed. The only thing am unsure is was I suppose to check with the horn still plugged in or just the harness itself cause I checked just the harness itself. The fuse is definatly ok the horns are origanal cause they are rusty.

Thanks for the advice DH and I look forward to what you suggest next.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:44 PM

forgot to ask you earlier does the cruise control work ?? if not it could be a damaged cable reel ,, but let's not jump the gun
next step. i want to to chk the horn relay , it is located under left side of dash,, it has 4 wires going to it,, white/yellow, blue/red, black, lt green/blue ,, Once you find the realy get a test lite or a voltmeter,
connector plugged in,
you should get power at white/ywllow,
horn button pushed in
you should get ground at lt green /blue
you should get ground at black wire
you should get ground at blue/red
If you get no ground at lt green/blue ,, the problem is from relay to steering wheel, ( bad ground) wire issue, cable reel damaged
if you get ground at lt green /blue and ground at black and power at wht/yellow BUT NO ground at blue/red you got a bad horn relay .

If you get all the proper inputs, you got wiring issues from relay to horns ( blue/red wire )

try this and let me know

Old 04-26-2007, 11:44 AM

OK I tested the relay this is what I got:
white/yellow has power
lt green/blue has power then grounds when you push the horn button
black has nothing no matter what
blue /red has nothing no matter what

When I say no matter what I mean it doesn't change with or with the horn button being pressed.
So does that mean the relay is bad from my understanding.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: skareb

OK I tested the relay this is what I got:
white/yellow has power
lt green/blue has power then grounds when you push the horn button
black has nothing no matter what
blue /red has nothing no matter what
if black has no ground,, blue/red won't have any ground either and that's the wire that gives ground to the horns to make them work work,

couple things you can do ,try this first.. , give ground to the black wire ,, if the horn comes on you got a wiring issue from the ground source ( under dash right side at kick panel,,unless car is a canadian car if it is a canadian car the ground is located undr the dash left side at kick panel ) or a very poor ground
if when you apply ground and the horn work the rest of the sytem is ok ..Anyho if you supply ground at the black wire at the horn relay and the horn work,, you can try to find the problem or just cheat and splice a wire from a good ground to the black wire
But first , give the black wire a good ground and let me know if the horns work ..

Quick Reply: Horn stopped working